VR headset for Linux

Heh, I have had to give up on any sort of GPU-passthrough because the damn 6900XT is almost 3 slots wide and I don’t have room for a second GPU an more

1 Like

LOL you poor thing…

Is that a giant sucking sound I hear in your wallet?

1 Like

ALVR gets pretty big Linux updates regularly so its getting better all the time for the Meta products.

But the next gen, or newer VR is around the corner and Valve is going to make Linux a launch platform for those also.

The only company that doesn’t play ball so well is Meta, which I’m kind of not interested in really.

@The_Riddick I would go with a Valve Index too … except for the 300% price differential. :frowning:

1 Like

Well I say just wait for the Deckard at this point. Nobody should really be buying any current VR headsets unless you can’t wait and have money to burn.

Sage advice. I still have a W10 VM for the odd things I can’t do on WINE / PROTON. It is a lot better today than ever, but there is still a lot of work to be done for it to be an equal replacement.

Disagree. If you like VR, support VR. You won’t see anything progressive done if no one buys a product until it is 100% perfect. I’m on my fourth HMD today and it, plus the overall technology, is leaps and bounds better than my first.

The two groups I’d see most support [Re: VR], would be between HTC and Valve.

• Valve being a bigg obvious, with their investment to SteamOS / Proton
  • HTC having sizeable exposure to Android and longest run with VR hardware

Be a matter of how much request their is, for such an endeavor to gain footing
… Then of course being a long road of teething / compatibility T+E

That means you have money to burn. Not everyone does.

In saying that if Pico Neo 3 Link was available to Australian’s I’d consider that.

The non retail version is available for 450AUD on Aliexpress but that is the non-updated retail version which hasn’t got the newer facial mask and something else… And might not receive as prompt updates.

I save up for them and make sacrifices in other areas as a result. I’m by no means rich. I spend weeks, if not months, doing research, comparing products and finding the best deals per my budget. When I do buy a product, I buy the best I can because it lasts longer and performs better.

My spending is also subject to Wrongfully Induced Fiscal Enforcement or W.I.F.E. for short.

I don’t know about lasting longer. LOADS of new VR tech on the horizon and I have a funny feeling its just going to burst out like a avalanche soon.
You spend 2k on something that is immediately devalued by something cheaper and better
6months later!

It will be like what happened to the Quest-1 when Q2 came out.