VNC or just copy files?

Ok so the situation has arisen that I need a break from gaming. In order to help force this I am completely killing my ability to play anything that is a serious enough game to warrant processors newer than 2008 compatibility. I’m putting my linux machine up and switching to my macs for at least a month, though once I get into my standings and seated comfortably it really could be for a lot longer than that.

So, with that, I’m trying to figure some things out here. Mainly: do I just copy my files that I need over to my mac OR do I use my machine over VNC when I need something off of it? Part of the reason I’m thinking of doing VNC, as well, is if I have it on a shelf for a few months I have to completely redo it when I come back to it because I run on arch on it. But the other half of me is saying “Hey, look, just install Xubuntu and it’ll be ready to go in 3 or 4 months”.

I don’t know all that much about VNC, in fact for the last few years of being in IT and management it was either Novell’s built in stuff or use Teamviewer. I have never set up a VNC server and client, though I have a rough understanding of how it works. Is there anything complicated about it? Or is it just plug in and set the config and let it go.

Alternatively I could just figure out auto updates on my machine and plug it into the router downstairs and leave it on, though that seems kind of silly.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing back. Thanks!

1 Like

VNC works basically the same as RDP on windows from my experience.

I use it for when I need to to install a new VM on FreeNAS, and then after that I just use SSH.

Works great, but it wasn’t designed for games. The latency will kill you.

Suggest you just copy the stuff over. Though you will need to jump through a few hoops because OSX is freebsd based and you have to do some stuff to get ELF binaries compiled for linux to work.

I’m not worried about games. The few games I want to play are on console or have osx ports. I just don’t want a fucked machine in a few months.

Alright I’ll boop an archive together then. No need for vnc till I get the BBS back up.

I have VNC running on a few devices and there is nothing complicated about setting it up :wink:
However, you should remember that VNC is NOT encrypted, if you want encryption use SSH + port forwarding like so:
ssh <user>@<ip> -L 5901:localhost:5900

2 Likes