VMs

Firstly, @wendell When can we expect the update on PCI passthrough in VMs? After Ryzen launch?

So, I recently purchased myself a new laptop for Uni, and am planing on running some distro of linux with a VM for windows shenanigans.

The laptop is an ASUS UX310UA if it helps.

Anyway, I am currently running Elementary OS dual boot, but I'm not 100% sold on the the OS. I am wondering what I should know as I am diving into VMs for pretty much the first time. Is there somewhere that I can go that explains how to set them up for dummies like myself or should I just dive in and figure it out as I go?

Cheers

1 Like

you need qemu/kvm, make sure vt-x/virtualization is enabled in your bios, and know that libvirt/virt-manager will make your life a lot easier.

If you want to do pass through a dGPU, you need to read up on IOMMU groups/isolattion, and determine if your PC has proper isolation. if it does, good. if it doesn't, you'll need to patch your kernel with ACS, which comes with it's own set of challenges and gotchas.

using virt-manager will be as close to "for dummies" as you can get. they have a simple VM setup wizard and everything.

Normally I'd point you to the archwiki for good, complete documentation on the setup process, but you aren't using arch, so try this:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Virtualized_guest_installation_overview-Creating_guests_with_virt_manager.html

You can't passtrough a gpu on a laptop, your best bet is to wait for kernel 4.10.1 that will provide virtual gpu support and see how well that works.

First, PCI passthrough is still very experimental, although considered stable from when some of this forum started playing around with PCI Passthrough, additionally PCI Passthrough requires 2 GPUs (Unless you are talking for another system instead of your laptop)

So Virtualization on the surface is simple, and for what you want it would be rather simple, using a tool called virt-manager you can easily create VMs as if you used hyperv/vmware/virtualbox.
Outside of configuring things like RAM allowance, CPU allowance and storage you should be fine, remember 1 vCPU core does not mean 1 Physical core, this all goes on CPU utilization of the VM.

Following that you would install what ever OS you wanted (Outside of OSX) and done.

So from my perspective and how I learn, just do it without a book and use google, I personally learn faster that way, its also more fun.

You can then begin to learn more advanced things like passthrough.

Enjoy!

you can, actually.