Vizio's loop hole to scrape customer data?

I was browsing the web and came across this ad for a Vizio “Display” it is essentially a TV without a tuner. So why would a company sell a “TV” without a tuner? I turned to reddit. It brought up the usual “it’s a cost savings measure” the OP in post linked below mentions unusual taxes for Europe regarding TVs versus monitors.

Anyways, I am kinda interested at this point and do a little research on the company. OH YEAH…They were busted for surreptitiously gathering user data. Which I believe Level1 covered at one point.

Dawn the tin foil hat, peeps! What if Vizio’s recent push to introduce “Displays” bypasses the ruling of the FTC and Vizio can now fish for whatever they want as it is no longer a TV (broadcast device?)

What is your take on my theory? {I only spent about 10 minutes “researching” so I am very much open to having this theory torn to shreds}

1 Like

Any Smart TV operating system is subject to the “Terms of Service” and “Privacy Policy” of the manufacturer. This isn’t necessarily the worst, the worst was when Panasonic TVs served ads SIMPLY FOR CHANGING THE VOLUME:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?id=1416894724&subaction=showfull

That loads tracking cookies galore!

Any Smart TV that serves ads will have tracking cookies.

1 Like

I cut the cord many years ago and have been using antenna since for local broadcasts, so there goes that user base along with privacy advocates.

Little doubt is left by their previous actions, however, until it is proven to be happening, it is conspiracy.

1 Like

Ah yes, the “Ads everywhere”.
Can´t remember, was that before or after facebook started using their messenger app to check what ads are running arround you?

Bluetooth LE targeted ads has been a thing forever. Apple uses it to know EXACTLY where you are in a physical Apple Store to target specific products as you walk around.

Facebook “improved” on that in a sense.

Shazam first made the tech to inject hidden data in audio for “PROMOTIONS.” Facebook advanced on that.

What? I missed that. Jeez, that is a bit heavy handed.

I have no reasonable expectation of privacy on any device connected to the internet. The exception would be a computer/phone and files stored locally.

No, that would not allow them to evade the FTC’s ruling.

It’s important to go through the settings and turn all the various spyware off.