Virtualize pi cluster

is there a way to virtualize multiple raspberry pis simultaneously with functioning networking amongst them to have a virtual raspberry pi cluster?
i’m working on a software project in which what i described above is part of. i tried with qemu and the qemu-rpi-kernel from user ‘dhruvvyas90’ on github but according to the readme networking is not supported which is crucial for our project.
i didn’t come across any similar project and wondered if it would be even possible (and if not: why not?)

Welcome to the forum. I moved your post to the general Linux catagory as this is not vfio related.

But on to your question, it is not clear, do you want to run virtual machines on a cluster of rasberry pi’s, or do you want to make virtual rasberry pi’s on a single computer?

1 Like

i’d like to run multiple raspberry pi instances on one computer while being able to let the communicate with each other (ideally with a virtual network)

I am not seeing anything about networking in the readme here-

I think it should just work with qemu, just make and start a couple machines, with them all connected to a virtual netwirm.

1 Like

seems like you’re right!
according to this tutorial https://github.com/wimvanderbauwhede/limited-systems/wiki/Raspbian-%22stretch%22-for-Raspberry-Pi-3-on-QEMU networking is not possible so i just browsed the github commits and discovered that by now features like libvirt instructions were added which probably enabled networking.
thank you!

1 Like

You are very welcome, and welcome again to the forum.