VirtualBox: Painless Windows Apps on Linux | Tek Syndicate

I have tried this about a month ago. The issue I was having was with my screen setup. I have 3 screens and was getting some weird offsetting of the desktops. The furthest left screen started in the middle of my furthest left monitor and the furthest right screen was half way off my furthest right screen. This was in full screen mode. Also in seamless mode the task bar does not show up. Has anyone encountered this? I tried this with Ubuntu Unity and Xubuntu.

thanks for the vid

I am on a Cluster Project with S2012 and VM love to see this content appearing =) keep it up

@celmor, i think it would be better if we had a video about GPU passthrough next.
@krz1991, changing between the 2 is very simple in any OS. Just shut down, plug your display into the GPU you want the host OS to use, then boot back up.

@wendell please make a video on vga and pcie passthrough. If my processor (Intel) and my motherboard (Gigabyte) support VT-d can I use passthrough in kvm virtual machine? Or do I need to make sure my motherboard also support IOMMU?

I have two graphics cards (intel i7 and nVidia) and want to play games on Linux in Windows vm.

Thanks.

epicfail-pc
lawl

Just realized IOMMU (AMD) == Vt-d (Intel)

So to run kvm (virtual machine on Linux) with Windows having access to my nVidia GPU (for gaming). I would just need Intel CPU that supports vt-d (like i7-4790K) and motherboard that supports vt-d (with z77 chipset).

Does anyone know what would the performance penalty be if I would play games like that?

How much memory does Ubuntu Gnome need - if I would to give most of the memory to the Windows virtual machine?

@wendell @snipersixate I think it would be benificial to take a step back from going into virtualization and showing how much control and power you have in linux. 14.04 came with a bug where multimonitor support kinda broke and there is a very specific set of config files to fix it. I think I tutorial for all the new users out there would be great to get them going on multimon setups with linux and show how powerful the system is since as of now if a users installs ubuntu LTS on a system with multiple monitors it will reset the orientation after every reboot.

getting back to more simplistic approaches maybe @Logan could do a theme'ing video on how to install GTK themes.

I agree with this statement, although I would like to see a video on virtualization with QEMU or Xen with PCI pass through as well. I have a dual monitor setup but my secondary monitor shows up as unknown so I can't change the resolution. I have a 24" EIZO FG2421 mounted above a 27" Overload Tempest OC. I'm running Korora 21 dual boot with Win 8.1. I chose Korora b/c it was the first of 3 distros that I tried that recognized the EIZO monitor out of the box. Then I updated all the packages in the Yum extender and now the monitor isn't recognized any more. I have not drummed up the initiative yet to tackle the problem, but I will need to fix it before I try running windows in a VM since I want to use the EIZO for Linux and the Tempest for gaming on windows. I usually boot into windows since both my monitors work correctly.

@LimesLimesLimes Its still only as powerful as the drivers and game devs allow. If you can virtualize it well enough, you'll get all the windows optimizations, which devs usually spend more time on.

I installed Manjaro CLI version and then i3-wm, the x-server didn't want to boot up until I disabled the intel iGPU drivers manually because of a conflict between the graphics modules, so it's not as easy for every OS to just work if you have multiple GPUs and therefore multiple GPU drivers (took Solution from here).
Now I've also got a new problem, the x-server doesn't want to start anymore since I plugged in my ROG Swift through DP and then starting the x-server through startx, even after unplugging the monitor, rebooting, the x-service can't be started anymore, and that was the only thing I changed, just plugged in the monitor, started Linux and wanted to started the x-service so I'm stuck with CLI again.

+1 For QEMU/KVM + PCI passthrough video.

Really strange coincidence I just finished doing this for the first time two days ago. i had no idea this video was coming. :D

I know. Good point. The specific thing I was referring to was actually reported in the bugzila and addressed I will link back with it

Word, and the rest of office, works beatifically in Wine which is a nicer solution then running it in Virtualbox.

Ahhh VMs, this brings me back to my enterprise VSphere days.

Yes, I run a couple of old Windows Games. "Front Line Attack" plays better under Wine than it did on Windows, where it often crashed. For Civ II, that right Civ 2, I use MicroXP on Virtualbox. Works a treat.

Amazingly, I'm still maintaining some VB6 apps on Windows Server 2000 with SQL Server 2000 as a back end DB too. They ain't broke and the customer sees no point in having them rewritten, to do the same job. It runs great in Virtualbox. Also works great as a simple version control system too, as I can export a snapshot, take that file from my desktop and put on a USB stick. Later I import it into Virtualbox on my laptop or work pc and just carry on.

Hey, Wendell. How about a video covering the setting up and use of WINE so that we can run Windows apps directly on Linux without having the resource hog of running Windows itself in a virtual machine?

@wendell , I am running PC-BSD a desktop on FreeBSD, with KDE as the desktop. Apt-get doesn't work on it. I am still on the job, self learning it. I am running the CLI for installing anything, as I am in the, as they say, the bleeding edge, PC-BSD_11.0CompleteMarch2015 edition. And I have to say that the ".zfs" file extensions, are rather unique to me(clueless). I have used Linux for quit a few years, Mandrake(now Mandriva), Progeny, Debian, Suse, Fedora, Sabayon, along with a few more.

My friend Ralph was my Linux guru, till he passed a awhile ago. Hit me pretty hard, and I abandon Linux for it hurt too much. But before he passed, he wanted me to learn to use BSD, so now in honor to him, I am here.

What I am finding, is that I have to run apps and updates to get the needed missing files installed, for Win7 to work. Sometimes they install, and some others do not, like "d3dx9_43.dll".

I do not know if any other members here use BSD or not, but I would like to learn more about it, as I am just doing the old tried and true method of trial and error, break, fix, and repair. Like slugging through molasses. There has to be a better thing than Larry Ellison's VirtualBox. At 64, I wish it was working already. I definitely would like to see a video on PC-BSD, and how to install, non-native software.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

I haven't used ubuntu in a while but you might could try apt-get purge as apposed to apt-get remove as purge gets rid of config files. If you cannot uninstall as "Uninstalling leads to the same error excluding the last 6 lines" suggests, you can force it to uninstall, I believe the flag for forcing apt-get is -f meaning your full terminal line would be something like:
sudo apt-get purge virtualbox -f
then reinstall after update and upgrade as wendell mentioned