Virtual Machine Proxy

So I've got a virtual Linux machine going which I'll be using between calls at work. As I work overnight, I hardly get any calls coming into the service center. Currently the firewall blocks logging into applications, but not websites. So for example, I can login to steampowered.com but not onto the application itself.

This tells me Steam's ports are blocked as well as other applications like Gamevox. IRC channels are also blocked too sadly. Security generally doesn't care, but has the firewall up for the normal users any way. So Is there a way for this VM to use a proxy or am I SOLed?

If you use a proxy which uses standard web ports (80 or 443) then I don't see why that wouldn't work, unless they block the IP. You could also try a VPN which uses port 443, most VPNs use UDP which might be blocked by the firewall but you can get some VPNs which will use TCP and should work. There are also more elaborate VPN configurations which have better luck getting through strict firewalls.

If SSH works you could always use that to proxy your internet to a server at home or a VPS or whatever.

That's what I am thinking, I just don't have the experience. Is it possible to transmit audio over a RDP session? Say if I am logged into a voice chat at home?

Yeah, remote desktop supports audio.

Hmm, never done so before. Figured I ask. Any proxy's you can recommend to setup on Linux Mint?

Any proxy or VPN should work fine on linux. I use torguard so that's all I can recommend.

If you have a linux machine at home which is on you can use SSH to create a proxy. You'll need to forward the port to the server and either set up DDNS or remember you IP address. then on the client machine run 'ssh -D 12345 user@ssh-server' where 12345 is the port number to use for the proxy (you can just use 12345, or any other unused port) and user@ssh-server is the username and host name/ip address of your home ssh server.

Then go to the network settings and set a manual proxy using socks with localhost as the address and 12345 as the port (or whatever port you use)

Useful information. Thank you.