Video Nasties

A while back a friend of mine sent me a dvd called Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape (it came in a set called Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide). He knew I was an 80's horror film buff, so when he spotted it while visiting the UK, he snagged it for me.  I was actually going to mention it here a few months ago, but it slipped my mind until you brought up the blacklist shenanigans in the UK again in this weeks Tek.  The docu discusses the straight to video horror genre in the late 70's and early 80's, and the fight to censor and ban the films in the UK.

It has eerie parallels to what is happening today regarding internet censorship in the UK.  The tactics and rhetoric are incredibly similar, as is the ultimate purpose.  Control under the guise of protection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD6FHsMWrv0

Anyway, if you can get your hands on it, I'd definitely recommend giving it a watch. If nothing else, it lends perspective and historical insight to what is currently happening in the UK.  Fair warning though, there is a good deal of gore and nudity as they show a few clips from the films in question. You have been forewarned : )