Video editors for Linux

I’m pretty much a noob at video editing, but have tried my hand with iMovie and Davinci Resolve. I have gotten somewhat used to using Resolve in a limited fashion, though I haven’t mastered it by any measure. It installed in Linux after a lot of headaches, but I’m now plagued by a lack of codec support (specifically H.264.)

My needs are pretty simple; trimming video, titles and simple transitions are my main requirements. I would also like an editor with a somewhat intuitive UI and x264 support. Am I asking too much?

1 Like

The paid version has H.264 support, last I checked.

For those requirements, I would look at kdenlive. They just released a new, refactored and more stable version a couple weeks ago. I haven’t had a chance to test it out yet, but people have been singing its praises for a while.

3 Likes

I think the paid version is US$999, a bit much to drop on an infrequent hobby.

I’ve heard Kdenlive mentioned before. I’ll take a look, thanks.

1 Like

Try kdenlive!

3 Likes

If you’re feeling brave and want to experiment there’s Olive for Linux. Still in developement but everyone is saying good things about it. Is similar to Da Vinci in the layout so you might find it familiar.

3 Likes

It’s $299 always has been.

3 Likes

Yep, you’re right. I must’ve been thinking of Final Cut’s price back in the day. While that’s a good bit more reasonable, it’s more than I want to spend on a casual hobby. If I get more serious, it’ll probably be worth it given Resolve’s feature set.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m not saying it’s pocket change. I’m just saying it’s not quite that much.

4 Likes

What you’re probably seeing is the difference between software and hardware encoding. Most video cards have on board hardware to drastically speed up video encoding, but the software (ie video editor) has to be coded in a specific way to take advantage of that hardware.

Clearly Pitivi does not have the necessary support. Or perhaps it requires some additional configuration. I know kdenluve can require a certain amount of manual tweaking to enable hardware encoding.

And in my knowledge it is bundled with every camera.

That sounds like it is rendering it on a single cpu thread or something. Depends on your cpu of course but I don’t think there’s hardware released in the last decade that would take that long to render a short video in FHD.

Lightworks - lwks.com

Probably one of the closest things you’ll find to Premiere Pro on Linux, and like Premiere Pro (and Avid Media Composer, and Final Cut), it’s been used on Hollywood films.
(Spotlight)

I’ve never understood why software developers don’t exploit OpenCL for this… some cards don’t have built-in hardware processing for video, but they can still use OpenCL to run on the GPU cores (and the ones that do [have dedicated hardware] should be able to use both simultaneously).

FWIW, I’m pretty sure DaVinci Resolve uses OpenCL when CUDA/NVENC is not available.

1 Like

I also use kden live, also openshot would work as well. Both support h.264 and h.256 hevc also hardware acceleration should work for h.264 with any fairly modern hardware.

I think you trying to use resolve to do what you are doing is like starting a fly with an icbm missile.

Although, I would be using resole to do similar stuff or I had enough machine for it… at least I thought I would but with no h.264 support I’m glad I steered clear.

Yes.

Well, a one time license isn’t too bad for the feature. Codec licensing isn’t cheap, so I really don’t have a problem spending a few bucks for that.

Its been a long 2 years since I made this post. In 2019, hardware encoding was buggy, at best. Things may have changed as of today, frankly, I haven’t really been in the video editing business for a couple years now. All my use case for it stopped.

I’m sorry … lol. I am new to this forum and didn’t notice the date yet…

1 Like

According documentation Blender supports H.264. Unfortunately I do not know if it utilizes GPU.
docs dot blender dot org manual en latest files media video_formats.html
I cannot include links - replace spaces with slashes

FWIW, Cinelerra GG (www . cinelerra-gg . org)

Bit of a steep learning curve, but i used this playlist (youtube . com / playlist?list=PLCI9oI4dS9zxOX_gxl7JlyiIFpf-sC3uF) to learn the basics.