Very secure setup?

Hey fellas,

I saw the video on someordinarygamers setup “poor shame” setup. He has an archlinux running some kind of magic with some vms to run windows and mac on a different gfxcard.

I came to thinking of what kind of system I should build next when the time comes and I need to reset my windows.

I’m running windows 10 currently on my pc and I have not yet had any problems but some times it feels better to have linux for like development workspaces. I’m currently running zorin in a vm with a meteor server and such and over git I transfer the data of the workspace but that just seems like a bad appliance. I dont even the files natively on my windows but everything feels smooth. Also not a linux fan just doesn’t feel like a good system sorry. I have 4TB storage but using 3.9TB or so.

Can you guys help me out here, I’d like to have something fresh but also something that works.

I’m a little confused, are you looking to harden Windows 10 or setup a secure VM lab?

1 Like

I’m not sure. But a good and stable setup with which I can play games and develop code.

I would figure that out and then make a new thread

1 Like

I thought people would have an idea of a good setup. I have no idea of this, I probably then just clone his setup. It seems pretty fine.

A good setup for what?

I think I said that earlier:

Intel i9 and RTX 2080 Ti Super. Sky’s the limit

PC Specs: R5-2600,DDR4-2330-24GB,GTX-1070

Easily run games and a workspace at the same time

So you’re keeping the same hardware

Well, I’m gonna upgrade my pc to 32GB and a 5700XT and r53600X

And you want tips on hardening your Windows 10 installation?

Basically and have a system which is more power efficient

Make sure Windows Defender is enabled. Don’t download pirated software. Don’t open e-mail attachments if you don’t know who they’re from. Set up a good Adblocker (uBlock Origin is a good one).

You should be good

1 Like

Well I have done that, tens of measures to protect myself. I’ve even written a paper on data security. But I want to go further like Muta with his setup.

If that’s true then you really shouldn’t be here asking questions about security. Most people here seem to have an illusion of privacy which doesn’t equate to security.

Sounds to me like he does passthrough

In any case an operating system is not “more secure” I would avoid this mentality that’s repeated way to often around the internet.

Can Linux be more secure than windows? Sure… can windows be more secure than Linux … Absolutely.

It’s more about reducing the vector to an acceptable level for what you do and tbch it doesn’t sound like you need a change

Windows works fine for development idk where the rumor that Linux is somehow superior came from. It’s not. Use the tools you need. If you or your work uses visual studio it runs on both exactly the same. Lol

Now if you want to experiment with Linux as an admin or figuring stuff out just take one of the standard ones I can think of. fedora or Debian will do but don’t do it because you want a “secure setup”. Data security almost always is only minorly affected by the OS and more about the setup of the systems software as a whole

All in all no setup is perfect. Use what works for you :+1:t4: and uh well as jack sparrow would say… Try not to be … Stuuuuupid lol

3 Likes

Well most development is done on linux or the most github repos just have linux tutorials.

I’ve come far containerizing a lot. google, facebook, shopping work and banking done in different firefox containers.

I’ve thought of mac and ip spoofing. ddos protection, and so on. Just to be on the safe side when kids try to do something stupid.

The only bad thing in containerizing is that when you have overlapping workflows so it will be hard to transfer data but I’ probably could just have them as different systems in a network then have a shared network drive or something.

here is the video he mentions it

here is the video I belive he is talking about. Where he goes step by step telling you what he does and you could go from there to find “best” hardware/setups

also goes into vm again

very true

Privacy

VS

Security

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.