Very high idle power draw

I have noticed that my PC was putting out a LOT of heat even when Idle (CPU <10%)

CPU is using 60w package power when doing nothing reported by HWiNFO64
CPU Core power is <5w reported by HWiNFO64
whole system idle power draw is 150~200w as reported by my UPS.
GPU power draw is <5w reported by HWiNFO64

How do I fix this other than replacing parts or updating bios?

Updating bios isn’t an option for me because I’m currently not in the country the hardware was purchased so I won’t be able to get it fixed if things go wrong

Specs are as follows:
Ryzen 5600X CPU
Crucial 16GB x2 3600MT/s
Biostar B550-T Silver
Asus Dual Mini RTX3060TI
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD
FSP FX500G 500w 80+ silver

Secondary system only draws ~80w when idle despite having a i7-3770, a RTX 3060 and a R9 290

EDIT:
Bios already updated to latest

This isn’t abnormal for modern CPUs, especially AMD’s chiplet based CPUs. The IO die and core power read low, but package power and heat is abnormally high.
Some hearsay online seems to suggest that the IMC isn’t being reported in the IO die or package power metrics, and may be partially responsible for the high idle power draw, so lowering memory voltage and clockspeed might help, but from what I read, it doesn’t really do that much still.
Intel’s larger chips have similar problems with abnormally high idle power, though not as much as AMD’s chiplet design. I suspect some of it is lost in the substrate, just to the resistance on the traces.

Here’s some readout from my zen3 cpu. Looks like even with 1.2v and jedec, memory is about 20w. Do any AM4 boards support undervolting memory? Like, below 1.2v?

stuff

Mind sharing what utility are you using for that readout? Looks nice.

To OP:

If measurement is correct, then 150-200w is still way to much for idle state, disregarding all possibilities.
AMD cpu have higher idle power state due to IMC, but we are talking +10-20W max versus intel CPUS. And your cpu is set to target 88W only, so something is very wrong with your system.

Check the following:

• redo you power readings, monitor computer only → move peripherals to different outlet. Monitor alone can easily consume 50W, even 100W+ if its large one. UPS is also not very precise measuring instrument and it distorts measurement by it own power draw.
    Use kill-a-watt like instrument if willing to investigate further.
  • is you system actually idle? Task manager + hwinfo to see whats running and what is you cpu actually doing
  • check power profiles, maybe you are suppressing you idle state by high power governor
  • check your gpu, maybe its not entering idle mode at all
  • disable XMP/EXPO and remeasure the results. Memory OC massively increases power consumption of amd IMC component, by factor of 2 easily

This is what much higher power draw ryzen 7950x3d looks like when using OC memory (DDR5 4800 → 6000):

This is the same measurement if pc left totally idle for 10 minutes (shower time). Notice how low power goes:

Old comparison from exploding x3d chips EXPO ON and OFF:

1 Like

It’s just called ryzen_monitor, and is available on aur.

github

GitHub - hattedsquirrel/ryzen_monitor: Monitor power information of Ryzen processors via the PM table of the SMU

On the note of memory, though, I think tiered memory makes more and more sense every CPU/GPU generation, since there’s so much more power required for driving higher memory clocks and faster memory controllers. Having a small, simplified, low power cache that’s large enough for the kernel/core essentials/framebuffer for gpus to use long enough for smooth reclocking could address high idle CPU use and troubles with GPU memory reclocking on multi/high refresh displays.

~150-200W while idling is suspect. is the CPU really idling?

my X570 + 5900X + 3080 system consumes ~120W measured at the wall while “idling” on the Windows desktop

B550 uses about 10-15W less power as compared to X570 boards.

3 Likes

Windows Task manager reports less than 10% CPU load, HWiNFO64 reports CPU Core power to be less than 5w so I don’t see how it would not be idling

Try checking component load with Process Explorer. It seems to have less rounding error than Task Manager.

1 Like

I’ve noticed 2 things having a big influence on total system draw.

1. I’m using old Hi-Fi amplituner as sound output - great quality and dynamics but almost 20W idle.
  2. Refresh rate of the screen. Every jump from 60 to 90 to 120 fps costs about 15 to 20 watts.
1 Like

Task manager is not able to show relevant data at all, use monitoring tool like hwinfo.

It safe, free and extremely useful.

You cannot diagnose anything without hard data, and this how to get them.

1 Like

Pretty sure thats caused bz GPU being forced to switch to higher power state. Still better that some AMD models, the cannot enter power saving mode at all with high refresh rate monitors.

Two monitors? Enjoy 90W+ idle from gpu alone sucker.

It also easily verifiable by hwinfo, if have time to tinker. Also for SCIENCE!

Reference value 4k@120hz , VRR off due to bugs on tv side.

Refresh rate lowered to 4k@60hz:

Lowered res to 1080p@60hz:

Display turned off for 20s → not active display connected

(I posted this yesterday, but my response seems to have been lost?)

This 100%, download HW Info 64 and get access to all of the relevant sensor data and then attempt to diagnose.

2 Likes

Exactly, while we all love pointless circlejerking of opinions/ thought and theories , hard data is hard data.

No kink shaming, this is supposed to be a safe space :wink:

3 Likes

Taskmanager and hwinfo64 both show that my system is doing nothing except windows background tasks

I have my power profile on Balanced

hwinfo64 reports it drawing less than 10w, slot and aux power combined

Disabling XMP decreases CPU package power by 10~15w (reported by hwinfo64) and total system power draw by ~10w. However it is still in the 3 digit range.

I am already using it as stated in my original post

go into bios and see if you have disabled cool and quiet… if so enable it.
if you have an eco profile for the cpu in bios then enable it. (it will limit your cpu power without affecting much in the way of performance and good for testing)

if your cpu is still chugging volts something like process hacker 2 or process monitor will let you see whats using the cpu and what launched it.
why?
if your cpu isnt dropping to 0% load then its not idling.
if its sitting at 10% load, then its doing something.

good luck.

1 Like

Apologies, I must have confused you with another very similar post.

Dumb idea, but you do not happen to have something running of USB-PD (Power Delivery)?

Have you poked at what the system loads using a tool like Autoruns?

Another potential source of weirdness is this restart apps nonsense:

ClearPageFileAtShutdown is another option to try.
M$ guide

Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management > ClearPageFileAtShutdown DWORD = 0
3 Likes

Agreed, too many consider idle to mean that they are not doing something rather than the CPU itself doing nothing.

I run a very lean Win10 OS with my 13400f, and recently either a Windows, Radeon, or Steam update dropped my idle consumption from 35W down to 30W (fluctuates +/-1C), which is similar to the power draw/drop I used to get when I closed Steam previously.

I did not change any settings, but I do run a balanced power profile in Windows and have all the appropriate powe saving features already turned on in the BIOS.

1 Like

If you look at my specs you will see that nothing in that list supports USB-PD so this is not a possibility

im an idiot… i thought you were the op :confused:

@felix920506
check your bios is up to date… there may be issues addressed in later versions that were in the initial bios.

1 Like