Valve Removes Payment Feature from the Workshop!

It is coming back in all.likelyhood. I just hope they listened to what happened this time and make it a donation to the modders service next time. Other with I will warm up my torch and polish my.pitchfork.

For now though. Buy games from other stores. Steam sure but not 100% of the time. Spread the cash and break the monopoly.

Imgur
4 Likes

I hated this dairy money milking practice the moment I read it.

I remember another incident like this years ago but differing genre (in the sim racing world) with just a developer. The developer of Simraceway invited some modders (developing mods for free) to develop content then sell that mod as a DLC at the modders expense (time and hard work). That caused a number of reputable modders and racing players to boycott the game and stained the developer's reputation.

In the end that aforementioned game went on to be a free-to-play game - indefinitely.

Wow. Thats low.

since 99.99% of valves business is making money off other people's work I cant say I was super shocked they tried this on mods too.
I mean they sell other people's games, They only have 1 original game that didn't start as a mod first. They don't make games any more. they only make money selling other people's stuff. them trying to sell mods is just an extension of that. Because lets be honest here Valve/Bethesda were not doing any of this out of the kindness of their harts to modders. all they saw were dollar signs at little to no work from them.

I think valve are being kind of ass holes about it with that whole thing about DOTA,CS,DayZ & killing floor. I'm sorry but Timmy's first nude skyrim mod isn't going to turn into the next CS or killing floor by making pennys from valve. the reason games like Killing floor, dota, CS..etc took off was because those modders worked their asses off on the so much that they won the Make something unreal competition back in the day with red orchestra. I'm kind of of the opinion that if someone is passionate enough about making games they will even do it for free. because if you are passionate enough and skill enough you wont have any issues making money from it. it was like me and fixing and working on computers. I did that crap for free because I loved doing it. I then turned that passion into a real job. id rather have hard work and passion for the craft be the barrier to success then have the steam workshop turned into an even sleazier version of early access. with that said I have no issue giving my money modders who earn it. I mean I have bought all of tripwire's games, most of valve's games and I plan on buying black mesa when they finally get that up on steam. if I was a dev/publisher I would view modders as potential future employees. their mods are just part of their resume. Hell their mods are even potential future IPs(like all of valve's games(minus HL) and DayZ).
Because I don't really trust valve any more(this was the straw that broke the back) and I never trusted Bethesda I really wonder how bad they are going to F over fallout 4 just to try and cram paid mods in there. lets face it, this will be back in one forum or another.

TL:DR - Good.

I think he's calling out a level of hypocrisy that exists in this space.

It's this kind of talk that makes no sense to me.

Valve makes video games.

Steam is an online gaming retailer/"Free to the user community platform." Steam did what GameStop (and every other gaming retailer) couldn't do.
It created a functional online marketplace where game developers could hock their products.

NewEgg is an online retailer, 100% of their business is making money off other people's work.

2 Likes

Shhhh, that is way too rational. Let them have this victory.

I don't remember that at all. What I remember is that Mojang didn't allow server owners to lock vanilla features behind paywalls so that little kids would spend their money buying virtual crap, resulting in angry parents. Quite a bit different from mods.

edit: here it is!

This could be a possibility too. Just at first glance that is what I took out of it, but I am very cynical.

That would suck. I'd been waiting for Fallout 4 since 2012 after Skyrim released. I still never have played through all of NV but 3 just seemed more open.

This is definitely true. What surprised me is that they had that much of a shitstorm in the first place. I would have thought there would be some kind of internal research at Valve to see how this would play out before hand. It seems like they put it out there thinking we would embrace the idea and then got surprised when we rejected it.

This probably will be an unpopular opinion, but I think that Bethesda should pay the modders since many people bought the game for mods.

The more I think about how this whole paid mods went down the more I think about how it could have been, if it had been handled slightly different.
What if it had been handled like something that has been successful like:
Hitrecord http://www.hitrecord.org/
What is Hitrecord, I'll let Joe explain:

So imagine if the paid mods had been handled similar to this process. A modder uploads a paid for mod, Bethesda takes the mod adds to it and they split the profit like: 50% to modder, 25% to Bethesda, and 25% to steam for hosting/infrastructure. This would allow for quality control in a way. Also say you see a paid mod and think I'd like to use some of this in my paid mod. Have a box or forum you fill out saying if you used other mods link to them. Your 50% would be spilt with the other modder. I do think this could have been handled better and not necessarily in the way I described it. Overall this whole situation has been crazy just to watch unfold.

my point was really Valve really does not make games any more. they have all but transitioned into being 100% a retailer. their only original IP is half-life. the rest have just been mods they bought and gave a commercial release. the recent games they have put out have all just been built to make money off their community. i.e TF2 with their hats, CS with their gun skins, DOTA with what ever dota does(player and weapon skins?). Valve has even come out and said they cant compete with their community when it comes to creating content. So if you can compete you might as well monetize it.

If valve just wants to be a retailer then they need to at least get their customer service sorted out. with the mountains of cash they have and get there is 0 reason for them to suck ass at it.

If valve is going to monetize mods they need to have a try before you buy and/or a pay what you want/donation system.
I do think Jim Sterling and this Jimqusision show got this spot on. on paper this was a great idea. just like early access and green light sounded on paper. but in practice this would have just turned into the massive pot of shit that early access and green light have turned into.

1 Like