Valve is releasing a new Counter Strike Title

wooly4 said:

they may have yet to make a bad game, but their games are definately getting progressively worse

its using source engine. why does everyone hate on source btw? It might not be the prettiest or most realistic, but it just works really well....

Because of shit like this. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zF7mYfs6UI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1a-zf1DE9k

This wasn't that bad on the old engine, but now it's seriously fucked. Also since they moved over from 100tic to 66tic and sped up the rate of fire, it turns out 25-40% of your shots are rendered useless like they're going too fast for the engine to even recognize it.

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

GIVE EPISODE 3 FFS !!!!!!!!

nvm..

wooly4 said:

they may have yet to make a bad game, but their games are definately getting progressively worse

its using source engine. why does everyone hate on source btw? It might not be the prettiest or most realistic, but it just works really well....

If it's not a new graphics engine then it's the same game with some minor changes. Plain and simple. Might as well just be a map pack for source.

Not to mention how old the Source engine is. As far as I can tell, Valve used to be a cutting edge game developer, but now they're just lazy and enjoy living off of all the money they've made. They know all their rabid fans will buy their games even if they don't improve upon anything, so they just stick to the year 2003 standard of gaming.

I think Left 4 Dead 2's graphics are quite good. Well at lease better than some games

Boov said:

I think Left 4 Dead 2's graphics are quite good. Well at lease better than some games

Well...better than Half Life 2, lol. I don't really consider Valve a game developer. As far as I'm concerned, they just make mods for Half Life 2 and then sell them.

Vortex said:

Well...better than Half Life 2, lol. I don't really consider Valve a game developer. As far as I'm concerned, they just make mods for Half Life 2 and then sell them.

true... however keep in mind that most games coming out today are based off of an engine... but yea... all the source games have the same feeling to them. but you can break away from that.... if you look at vindictus, the only thing that gives away that it was made in the source engine is the fall damage sound. in the end it all comes down to the developers.... and i think since valve had such a success with half life / half life 2, that they are sticking to that design style.

ztrain said:

true... however keep in mind that most games coming out today are based off of an engine... but yea... all the source games have the same feeling to them. but you can break away from that.... if you look at vindictus, the only thing that gives away that it was made in the source engine is the fall damage sound. in the end it all comes down to the developers.... and i think since valve had such a success with half life / half life 2, that they are sticking to that design style.

Yeah, but it's getting old, both figuratively and literally. They have to do something new unless they just want to reap all their profits from steam sales.

DotA 2, new CS. still no Episode 3... But yeah hope its awesome

ztrain said:

my game will be using source and it won't have the same "feel" to it, granted, I will have to basically rewrite the damn thing to get it to do what I want it to. "Lets use a FPS engine for a third person, turn based rpg that uses 2-d sprites for characters in a 3-D environment" yeeeeeah (holds head down low)

but anyway if they are going to use an engine for their games why don't they make a new, updated one, with every game that released that uses it to broaden its flexibility?

GigaBuster.exe said:

my game will be using source and it won't have the same "feel" to it, granted, I will have to basically rewrite the damn thing to get it to do what I want it to. "Lets use a FPS engine for a third person, turn based rpg that uses 2-d sprites for characters in a 3-D environment" yeeeeeah (holds head down low)

but anyway if they are going to use an engine for their games why don't they make a new, updated one, with every game that released that uses it to broaden its flexibility?

good luck with that, turn based RPG you could just use something simple like the unity engine, just saying that would be alot of coding on source(not that it wont be alot of code anyways but the only advantage to developing for source is its ease of use which you just threw out the window).

Also they update the engine with almost each new game, hence why source SDK offers you a different engine version for each year since like 2005, but none of them are extremely innovative however.

well it will make selling it on steam easier (and they take out the smallest portion of the money), and I can sell it on psn/xbox live too since its "cross platform", but I'm not all that interested in the money, sure it would be nice, but I just want to make a kick-ass game and have my name know as much as someone like Hideo Kojima or Shigeru Miyamoto, someone people who you'd look up to and want to be like, thats all that really matters to me, that people have fun playing it, plus it would be pretty funny to see peoples faces when they're like, "you made that with source!?" I don't care how much backwards engineering I'm going to have to do, it would be worth it

on topic I have no comment on counter strike, never played it, I have played half-life team deathmatch (because it was the only thing on steam that was free at the time, I'm a very broke man) I assume it would be similar, I had fun with it, better physics is always a plus, maybe they'll update that if they use source again