uTorrent 2.2.1, WINE, and WebUI

I’ve migrated my existing uTorrent 2.2.1 instance to Linux using WINE, which works, but the WebUI is inaccessible. Is there any way to get it working?

I have a script set up on pfSense to obtain a forwarded port from PIA, update the pfSense config, and update the bind port and tracker IP in uTorrent via the WebUI.

If accessing the WebUI via WINE isn’t an option, I’m open to suggestions that don’t involve installing an alternative client and reimporting thousands of torrents which often have renamed and relocated files.

1 Like

I have a couple things in mind here.

• You can use a VM to run this if you are too tied to this application
    you can use VirtualBox, or simply Gnome Boxes to make this work on a Windows Guest with a Linux Host

• There are many torrent clients to varying degrees on linux. Deluge, BitTorrent and many others. The .torrent files can easily be migrated over.

• Using WINE, you might need to install winetricks to help grab some dependencies you are missing.

To me, Deluge looks the most like uTorrent, but again there are so many torrent clients on Linux you can literally pick any. Is there a particular feature you need on that version of uTorrrent?

1 Like

I’m trying to move away from Windows and would rather not maintain a Windows environment just to run uTorrent.

Not only would this require pointing those thousands of torrents to their respective save locations, but I would also need to manually adjust locations and filenames for individual files within countless torrents, as I’ve done a lot of custom renaming and relocating to ensure that media library scraping pulls the correct information and doesn’t index anything I want to exclude. Short of some incredibly complex script that could import all of that information directly from my resume.dat and replace the windows drive letter with the linux mount point, I don’t believe there is an easy way to migrate everything.

winetricks has an option for utorrent 2.2.1, but it must be an older build, as it complains of an md5 mismatch. I wouldn’t think it’s missing dependencies, as uTorrent is built as a completely portable application, despite having an installer in Windows. If you run the “installer” using wine, it just launches the application directly. By putting the exe in the folder containing all of your torrent files, settings, etc., it just works.

I think for now I’m going to settle for having pfSense shoot me an email any time the port changes and I’ll just update it manually.

I think I can help here… But I need to understand how you have your setup.

Before I came to Linux I was in a similar situation with my collections. I kept a Windows drive and pointed deluge to that directory, everything sync’ed so to speak.

I did use uTorrent up until 3.0 (or 2.2 ) If i remember correctly. Things happened with the interface and whatnot so when I made the change deluge just worked, so I stuck with it. Also Deluge’s full stream encryption was a good reason to switch.

But again, I need to understand how you have your files / diretory set up to correlate that with a Deluge or other set up…

And I wanted to recommend rTorrent + rutorrent, well … maybe another time :slight_smile:

I’m not willing to post much detail about that in the forum, but generally speaking…

/mnt/storage/trackername/data/foldernamesthatdon’tmatchtheonesprovidedbythetorrentfiles/filenamesthatmayormaynotmatchtheonesprovidedbythetorrentfileandmightnotexistwithinthefolderstructureprovidedbythetorrentfile.ext

1 Like

Cool. I was doing some digging and there is a way…

I haven’t tried it myself but someone has made a tool to convert torrents from utorrent to qbittorrent. It mentions handling renamed files and such so it might be worth a shot. It says utorrent 3+ but from the comments I read on the windows version it should work with 2.2.1 as well. Just make sure to backup before hand if you decide to give it a try.

Seems I can’t post a link for it since I just signed up for this forum but If you go to the qbittorrent website forums / Linux section its pinned to the top.

Damn, how many Linux ISOs do you have!?

2 Likes

Ah yes, “Linux ISO’s”

Personally, if I were you, I’d try to migrate. A: utorrent is kind of… meh, and B: theres just plain better tools available oit there. Looking above, if you can convert a utornent setup to qbitorrent, yoi can do it with tixati or aria2 pretty easy as well, I’d think. While I havu a much much much (vastly[possibly infinitely]) smaller torrent collection than you, I only really have to worry aboit, at most, 6 files. But I’ve never had an issue going between transmission and tixati. I only give that example because if I am feeling lazy about installing tixati (woid linux dun use .deb etc) I install transmission instead and install tixati later.v

Hope you get this going to where you need it. I’d be inherested to see youl solition at the end.

Good luck!

1 Like

Everytime I see this I remember the time when Time Warner/Spectrum shut my internet connection down because they labeled " BlackArch Linux 64 bit Live ISO" as copywrite infringement. Had me call in, and attempt to explain why this was a linux iso I was distributing. Also, asnwer questions as to why/how I was using Linux on their connection since it was not a supported OS. ALL LIES !!! I used a VPN all the way till I moved to AT&T Fiber, which during the initial call I specified I was going to run a VPN 24/7. They were fine with it.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Also, a good way to share files/videos with family in other countries with bad/inconsistent internet, I’ve been a member of a Book sharing club as well ! Also a good way to move backups if needed.

I’ve used Deluge and my move from Windows was seemless.

2 Likes

I knew this would turn into a bunch of people trying to get me to move away from uTorrent, but you know what? I played along. I tried this Deluge import tool that @Hammerhead_Corvette sent me, and it does work impressively well, but it doesn’t import the torrent name fields from uTorrent - which I’ve managed meticulously for searchability - and many of the default names are useless. It doesn’t appear to be possible to change them, and even if it were, given the option of that versus updating the port in uTorrent a few times a month, I’d go with the latter.

1 Like

If there’s anything I can do to help, just let me know

uTorrent does everything I need it to, so any migration tool for another client is going to need to automatically

• Translate file locations from WINE
  • Account for all customized naming and relocating
  • Import Labels
  • Import custom Names

If it can’t do all of those things, it requires a great deal of work to get things back to the way I had them in uTorrent, and lack of access to the WebUI isn’t a compelling enough reason to migrate if it isn’t a dead simple process that works flawlessly.

1 Like

I’m pulling the tool and looking into possibly adding to it somehow. My torrents are not as complex as yours but I will see what I can do about files names etc

To be clear, the tool seems to correctly identify all file names. It’s just the Name field in the interface that it ignores.

1 Like

Cool. I’ll look through the code and see how that works, maybe this can be remedied.

I finally broke down and migrated to a Linux-native client. At first, I tried using the Deluge import tool and it wasn’t nearly as successful as I remember it being. I don’t think I took a close enough look at the results the first time around. I also had some other issues with Deluge and eventually moved on when I found an import tool for qBittorrent. I like the way this one worked better because it allowed a search and replace of the wine mappings to put things directly where they belong. I still ended up with ~190 torrents with renamed/relocated files that didn’t import perfectly, but much of that was due to inconsistent capitalization. Here’s a link to the tool for anyone looking.

https://qbforums.shiki.hu/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7952