Using Portable Sublime Text on Linux?

Hi everyone,

I've just recently started at University doing Computer Science and I noticed someone was using a different program to write in than the one that we were using in the lessons. It had a dark theme which looked much nicer and had functionality to be used for most languages. which was what attracted me to it. So I asked him what it was, and it was Sublime Text. 

I want to be able to use it as well, but unfortunately I don't have a laptop (I can't really afford one at the moment) like he does so I need a portable install. I have found one that works, but only on my Windows machine, and not on the Linux ones at University. I've tried to find a way to get it to work on both but there doesn't seem to be any definitive guide and when there is a guide they are not very clear. 

Has anyone managed to do this and if so can you help me out?

Thanks.

Everything you need is a Google search away.. http://docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/getting_started/install.html#portable-or-not-portable

Yes, but that is for WIndows, not Linux.

I need one to work on Linux as well as Windows. I have already tried that version on Linux at my University and it doesn't like the .exe which is used to run it.

The linux version is by nature portable.

You just unpack the tar onto a USB.

Then start it up by going to the folder where the program is on the USB stick in terminal, and typing "./<name of the program launcher>.

1 Like

Okay, thank you. Will I need root permissions for that? If not I'll give it a try next time I am there, thanks again.

You shouldn't need root to unpack it, no. 

Okay, brilliant, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes!

You'll need root if you want to edit system files, like your xorg.conf, or your .bashrc, but if you're just editing source code for your project, you won't need su.

All I want to do is edit the files, then compile them if the program lets me which it doesn't seem to but that doesn't particularly bother me. I can just run it another way.

Thanks for the info.

It is for linux lol

I finally got a chance to attempt it and it worked, thanks everyone!

Nope, data folder is in user folder.

Make data1 (for you) and data2 (for others) folder.Then Create a symlink for data whenever you use and revert on close

7 year necro