Using a Vacuum around computers (in cabinets, server rooms etc)

Hi All,

Are there any issues (other than inadvertent disconnection) with vacuuming inside a server cabinet or around computers?

We have our control room, and server room - neither get vacuumed due to some unknown issue with vacuuming…

Also - if anyone can recommend a quiet vacuum for the control room (manned 24/7) that would be nice.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

1 Like

Vacuums carry the risk of electrical discharge on the server components, as for how, I am not sufficient enough at explaining something that a simple google won’t do better.

I few links I found googling that may explain it better than I would:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/6974b1/how_close_can_vacuum_get_to_server_rack/dh493a1/

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/339283/why-do-gases-conduct-at-low-pressure

What you would probably want is an ESD safe vacuum cleaner, Or just get one that is grounded with a decently long hose and avoid contact with the server equipment

1 Like

Thanks - that’s useful!

1 Like

Like was said, Vacuums generate a large amount of ES discharge (Air moving) and the motors generate em field.

Now the main reason you do not see them in server rooms is that they are useless. Here is why:

• Most server rooms are designed for Air Cooling (Large ACs)
  • Floors are rubberized to prevent shocks from walking.

This means that any dust buildup in the air is removed by the AC.
Floors are impossible to properly vacuum without brushes.

If you want your server room cleaned do the following:

• paint the walls with Acrylic paint (that might be some time investment.)
  • Add additional Air Filtration to remove even microscopic dust. (Cost few bucks with HEPA filters) without Ionization
  • Use wet cloth on the floor (not mop, that requires too much water)
  • Provide rubber covers for shoes
2 Likes

I vacuum the intake side of my rack equipment and floor (carpet!) in the data center every year. I use a DeWalt cordless shop vac.

Never had trouble with ESD.

I’m not sure about other folks server rooms, but all of my servers and network equipment are enclosed in metal chassis provided by the manufacturer and are bolted into grounded racks. There’s no exposed circuits on anything for ESD to even jump to.

1 Like