Used 12bay JBOD enclosures?

Hi all,

I’m looking to a) expand my storage and b) decouple the storage itself from my NAS/storage server. So I’ve been investigating getting a 2U 12bay SAS JBOD device and adding a second HBA to my NAS to connect it. However, I’m very wary of used enterprise gear as some of it will only work with the proprietary systems it was designed for, and finding manuals on 5+ year old equipment to confirm the details is tough.

Does anyone have experience with this and have any recommendations? I’m eying 2U 12Bay SAS-2 Drive Disk Expander Storage JBOD SAN Shelf w/caddies IBM/LSI | eBay but would like some input before I pull the trigger.

@wendell do you have any input here? I think you’ve purchased things like this in the past.

Edit: I don’t need this to be high powered, have redundant PSU, anything like that. Some of the JBODs I see have Xeon processors and I don’t understand why, I just need a powered, electrical connection to the HBA in my NAS.

Lol if you’re willing to pay $300 for that I’ve got a supermicro 20 bay I could send you instead

1 Like

@wendell I’d take you up on that if it’s mid depth (I have a ~26" depth enclosure) and not absurdly loud

1 Like

I bought a NetApp DS4246 and some used 4TB SAS drives, it was plug and play using DAC. I only paid $240 but looking at ebay now, they’re going for $500 so if @wendell is selling his 20 bay for $300 I’d snatch it up.

1 Like

It’s sadly not mid depth. Full fat insanity

1 Like