Use PFSense to block some Clients from the WAN

Hey guys,

I have some clients that I want to effectively air gap from the WAN. I use PFSense, and I have tried editing the firewall rules to achieve this, but it didn’t work. I’ve been building out a Home Assistant ecosystem in my apartment, and basically I want to ensure that none of the IoT devices can access the internet outside of my local network.

1. Make an alias that contains all the IP addresses of your IoT devices (I named mine iot_crap). This likely means configuring static IPs on your devices, or perhaps dhcp reservations.
  2. Add an alias for your local network that you want to permit traffic to. I use all RFC1918 networks for simplicity.
  3. Add a rule on your LAN (or whatever network they are on) that Blocks traffic origination from your iot_crap with any destination that is NOT an RFC1918. This means checking the invert match box. Mine looks like this

The advantage of an iot network becomes clear here - you don’t have to manage the IPs of your iot devices, as you can simply block all devices on the iot network from accessing the WAN.

A troubleshooting issue I ran into - make sure that all your devices use a local time server, as they likely rely on a public (WAN) ntp server to keep time.

2 Likes