Use off ecc ram with B550 chip set

Anybody have any experience with using ECC Ram with B550 chip set? Especially with MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk I am looking to plug in a Ryzen pro 3700 for my home lab / NAS and I would like to be able to use ECC DDR4 if can?

Doesn’t depend on the chipset. Check your board’s QVL for memory. I know Asus and especially Gigabyte offering ECC support on most of their boards (including B550) and have corresponding memory QVL as pdf or via website.

There is a difference however between ECC capable DIMMs working or the actual ECC functionality working. It’s a bit dodgy when it comes to proper statements from board manufacturers.

1 Like

Thanks just saw that ECC Ram works on the board but not as ECC just regular ram I will probably check Asus and Gigabyte boards I just wanted the 2 Nics but alas no avail.

If you are getting a new board for this, AsRock Rack has several boards for AM4 server use. I’m using the X570D4U-2L2T which covers all bases for a home server. But they have cheaper boards with B550 and without 10GbE NICs too.

1 Like

You need the right type of ECC RAM, there are two types. Then it works fine, I’ve used it.

I’ve been using an Asus Prime B550-Plus, Ryzen 5900X, and two sticks of NEMIX DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 ECC Unbuffered 2Rx8 memory for the last year. This combo does pick up and report corrected ECC errors (I just replaced a stick).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.