Use for an old Surface 3 2015 ( Atom 4c, 2Gb ram, 64GB eMMC )

Hi :slight_smile:
I’ve been given this cutesy netbook/tablet with the keyboardcover and a busted mini-DP port. I’ve been given it because it was too slow.

And indeed, my GOD it’s slow. It came with a linux variant which I removed because I’m not used to Linux and installed Win10. Big mistake. This thing was built for Win8 and it was slow when it came out.

Can you kind people think of something to do with this thing?
I might reinstalling a Linux distro just to get a Linux taste ,but I’m unsure what distro.
Or optimise and streamline Win10 where possible but I’m not sure if that suffices.
I only use it for Firefox/youtube use or to download user manuals/drivers, etc when I’m helping friends with small PC woes or reinstalls.

Thank you
Have a good day :slight_smile:

I don’t see it usable as a general purpose computer, but it would be awesome server to get started with Linux.

Get a server distro on it, install a web server, get Drupal running on it, WordPress running on it, if the battery is working figure out graceful shutdown when you yank the power cord, try running some containers on it, maybe home automation, give retro emulation a try, setup a file server, setup a print server… lots of things to do if you are up for it.

3 Likes

Linux based PDF-Reader sounds like a solid option.

Distro wise, just don’t start with Arch or Gentoo.

1 Like

Some kind of dashboard with Grafana running would be my vote, or a control panel for Home Assistant or something

1 Like

That’s the catch, all of these things I’m not familiar with.
BUT. Yes, I might try it and see how I fare.

Home automation though… mmmh.

I’m on the edge between Ubuntu and Mint.
Both seem very beginner friendly but Mint seem to be ideal for machines with less memory, which seem key in my case.

Thoughts?

That’s how learning works :slight_smile:, maybe you find it interesting and get more in depth or maybe you don’t and move on…

When it comes to distro selection I don’t think your only bottleneck is RAM, that Atom was very anemic to begin with back in 2015. and now it’s probably even more so. Try to stick to light weight desktop environments such as XFCE or LXDE, for example Lubuntu or Mint XFCE edition.

The thing is as soon as you get a web browser involved it’s going to be quite a task for that Atom CPU.

Anyways, why not give it a try and see? Then wipe and try something else… maybe you’ll catch a homelab bug.

3 Likes

I have an idea that keeps coming back to have a media server, music in this case, and have a “dead” tablet just on constant power hook up as a touch screen to open the music library say in the kitchen and have it connected to the stereo.

So you could just open the library on the tablet and have it play from the server. A slim client idea? Nothing on the tablet other than what it needs to be an interface, should keep it fast enough for general use.

1 Like

I’ve been playing with this idea as well!
So much to learn…

1 Like

Panel for viewing / controlling ip security cameras…

1 Like

sounds perfect for either Batocera emulator box or to use as a device to stream your steam games to

2 Likes