USB2 eGPU for Linux server console

Folks

I have a very basic need, to set up an external graphics card to my headless LINUX server - that only has USB2 ports - so that we can get a basic graphics console.

Does anybody know of a commercial-grade external graphics card that can be used for such? No requirement for high-resolution, accelerated graphics, etc.
XGA ( 1024x768 pixels , 4:3 aspect ratio) will do.

Regards

Pedro

AFAIK you can only do eGPUs with thunderbolt and nothing else? This is because thunderbolt interface is directly linked with a PCIe lane unlike a regular USB2. I dont think the USB2 even has enough bandwidth for such a use case.

Maybe someone here can correct me.

You may also try to change your CPU with one with an iGPU SoC if your motherboard has a display output.

Thanks for your prompt reply. My servers use the I7-7700 processor, which has the HD 630 integrated graphics. But it has no external video ports. Since the headless scheme is by design and my company has a strong preference for this I am limited to the only type of external port available, the USB2 ports.
As I mentioned before, there is no interest in performance, only the ability to bring up a graphical X-based console for the Ubuntu servers. If you or others have recommendations I’m all ears.
Regards
Pedro

1 Like

Something like this?

https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_62738/merkmale.html

2 Likes

Wow, that looks promising! Mentions Windows compatibility. I’ll find out from the vendor if there’s support for Linux too.

Thanks!

I think this ist what you are searching for.

The whole Adapter is an external GPU which connects to an USB with full HD Basic Outputs.

2 Likes

commercial grade, no. however years ago i used to stick USB 2 DVI dongles, aka USB2 graphics cards on to computers to add second screens. was only good for 2d. sounds like thats what you need

Is the console needed to be local for your X applications? If not, and the machine is preferred to remain headless, then you can use X forwarding over SSH to use your applications remotely. For a slick interface for X which is a bit like RDP, there is X2Go.

1 Like

Great, the Delock team assured me theirs would not support Linux. Will check this one out. Thanks to all!

Thank you, I already use X forwarding over ssh when I have access to the host device. This is for those times when out of band management is needed, when the host device is inaccessible.

Another great idea, will check it out, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.