Usb to power anything

Hi.

So I’d like to build a usb box and use that to power my external HDD, router, Wi-Fi and other things. I still would like to keep the features the usb offers.

I’ve found some pd trigger module but all are single.

I found this one to but don’t know if it will work for what I’d like to have.

Would be so nice to get rid off all power bricks

Wouldn’t it be better to run one 12v rail, and step down from that?

Hmm… 5x USB 5V/2.4A

or 16x 2.4A

The modern hub with 16 USB-A ports also features BC 1.2. Due to the BC 1.2 charging protocol, 2.4A output is supported per port.

A power adapter is included for additional power supply. This allows the hub to support multiple devices at the same time.

It could be that ofc.

Wanted it to be easy just to plug-in any usb and it gets the right amount of power.

I’ll have a look into how to make a rail

One thing I could do it to get does car chargers with 1 type a qc3 and 1 type c and get a small but good psu

The devices OP wants to run, are all 12v tho, so need stepping up?
was just thinking, one step down from line voltage to 12v, then for the occasio9na 5v device, step down from 12v?

I mean, 5v~4a is not gonna melt wires, but not gonna be great?

I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG

just putting the idea out there

2 Likes

On a curious sidenote, I wonder if and when we will start seeing more DC in standard wallsockets. Seeing as most consumer devices run on DC, these days…

Then again, they all run on different voltages and amps, so would be hard to get going properly, hmmm… :thinking:

1 Like

Real good thought.

And yeah, you are already seeing it- USB sockets alongside power ports.

Cue the horrendous non-standards of USB-C for DC power distribution…

My mistake… my brain got stuck on “charging from usb” and I had 5V in my head all the time, forgetting that the things OP mentioned are actually 12V… lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you considered the PinePower? I’ve had one for well over a year, has been quite handy.

1 Like

You’ll need a “QC 3.0 trigger device” for each USB port for anything more than 5V 2.4A. You can get them from Aliexpress and the device is quite cheap the last time I checked.

I know external HDD exclosure is mostly 12V. Router and WiFi really depend on the vendor. So the “power distribution hub” you’re going to build might not sound as convenient as you would think, especially if you don’t plug and unplug devices often.

Brainstorm, what do you think about … The use of the previously mentioned power supply and add this…

Power will be provided via USB-A 5V/2A(2.4A) and at the output we will have - DC Jack 12V(2A?). Adequate for connecting devices that OP wants to power.

That’s the theory… :slight_smile:

Thanks bud!

I presumed if the V goes up, the A goes down.

so 5V2A one side, turns into 12V0.7A or whatever the losses and stuff is.

But if router and such is fine with <1A then OP saves wallwarts etc

Okay, let’s forget the simple stuff. :slight_smile:
I don’t see much point in sticking to the fact that it has to be USB…

Buy one of these power supplies and plug in the cables and you’re done. :wink:

Fair enough. This was how people in the old days will do it.

Since the proliferation of Quick Charge, particularly QC 3.0, there are better ways to do it. QC 3.0, for example, supports output any voltage between 5V and 20V. So whatever voltages OP might need is already baked inside OP’s “USB board.”

However, QC requires a digital negotiation process. Otherwise, you can’t get the voltages higher than 5V, and current higher than 2.4A (@5V). That’s how the Chinese “QC 3.0 trigger device” accomplishes.

Do you have a quick device that will do the job right away? I’m asking out of pure curiosity.

OP probably wants to connect a few devices at the start, but I speculate that more than 4-6 ports or more would be useful. It’s slowly starting to look like art for art’s sake and there’s little point in doing it if the main reason is to reduce the number of power supplie per device. :wink:

The PP mentioned by @QuarkyPhysicist seems to be the most sensible so far. :wink:

the Pine Power did look like great way to do it

Thanks for all input

Will QC 3.0 work if I use type-a to type-c and use the type-c connectors

And maybe this too power it all

Example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005047641034.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.5.5d694500U5uyRG&algo_pvid=e761a955-1989-4df5-9f16-27225fdcdb67&algo_exp_id=e761a955-1989-4df5-9f16-27225fdcdb67-2&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000031444948600"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!HKD!20.63!13.23!!!!!%402102172f16713643151347440d07b5!12000031444948600!sea&curPageLogUid=NC649rYmki2B

1 Like

Don’t have anything atm

Will not the 4-port qc3 board know if I use type-a to type-c with the plug I showed.

Otherwise I’m looking at
[Kr60.41]Typ-C PD QC AFC Snabbladdning Decoy Trigger Module DC 5V 9V 12V 15V 20V Output Laddare WIFI Router Smart Speaker Camera Modulkort from Elektroniska komponenter och tillbehör on banggood banggood://prod-1970579?channel=googleshopping&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_pt&utm_campaign=aceng-pmax-se-all-en-220402-meruem&utm_content=meruem&utm_design=-