USB periodically freezes in Windows but not Linux/BSD (Epyc / Supermicro)

I have an AMD Epyc Rome / Supermicro H11DSi workstation on which I regularly run FreeBSD and Linux with no issues. Today I added another drive and installed Windows 10 Pro. Much my my annoyance, I’m finding that the USB ports seem unreliable…

The issue seems to be specifically with the USB 2 ports that are built into the motherboard, into which my keyboard and mouse are plugged. Every few seconds, the input will freeze momentarily. The inbuilt USB3 ports seem better (I switched my peripherals over to them) but I haven’t been using them long enough to be entirely sure whether they’re completely problem free.

I thought that the problem might be USB power management, so I went into the device manager and disabled power management for every device in the USB section that would permit me to do so. It hasn’t resolved the issue.

There’s a block diagram available for the motherboard (though I don’t know how precise it is) here: https://www.servethehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Supermicro-H11DSi-NT-Block-Diagram.jpg - the ports that seem to be the problem are the rear panel USB2 ports.

Linux/BSD do not exhibit this issue, so I don’t think the hardware is suddenly bad. I’m relatively inexperienced with windows… while I’d look for a clue via dmesg or something on a unix-based OS, I don’t even know where to start debugging this on Windows. Any help greatly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.