USB-C Combiner and VRR/Freesync

I’m curious if the USB-C combiner on the Level1Techs store can maintain the VRR information over the connection. I assume it does since the KVMs all can.

Say you had a dock on the other end that can output that signal as HDMI and maintain the VRR, such as this one.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but it was my understanding that VRR can survive the DP to HDMI conversion, but I’m just wondering if the additional layer of conversion will screw things up.

I assume the switch on the side is what makes it capable of uncompressed 4k/120HZ?

It would be useful for me at home and I also have some office applications that involve frequent switching back and forth between DP/HDMI/USB-C.

I’m really interested in getting a better handle on how HDMI and DisplayPort actually differ. At what point you’re losing information, or compromising things through a conversion, if that indeed does happen.

Also interested if the conversion creates any latency, I assume not, but each additional translation seems like a potential bottleneck in that regard.

Incorrect