USB 3.0 / 3.1 No Longer Working

Win10 20H2 Enterprise, fully patched.
ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme MoBo with TR1950x CPU.

The USB 3.0/3.1 on my system no longer works. Been trying to fault find my system when my new VR headset kept saying the connection was USB 2.0 where it should be USB3.1.

Found several devices in Device Manager were “unknown devices.” Did the usual, tried to install latest drivers (Windows Update shows none), uninstalled and rebooted, no change. Checked BIOS and all USB functions are turned on. Grabbed the latest MoBo firmware updates from ASUS. In USB Device Tree Viewer (great little freeware program BTW) I can see that the problem code of 28 is prevalent. Drivers failed to install. I grabbed the latest from MS Catalog and see the version I have is the same as the one I downloaded. Installed then anyway, no change.

If I plug the VR headset into the 3.1 USB port it is not seen, but if I boot in Linux I see the headset correctly. Works in Linux, does not work in Windows. The headset does not have Limux software so it needs to run in Windows unfortunatly.

Anybody seen this before?

Update your bios. The usb 3 implementation on tr v1 was absolute garbage. Even after a bios update it wont be perfect. Mine is almost tolerable. Also cleaning and reloading the chipset drivers never hurts.

Am on the latest. Updated all firmware, drivers and software available on the ASUS site. There seems to be a block just for these devices and I have no idea why.

Considering a format and reinstall, but that is a nuclear option and there is no guarantee of success until I can identify the issue.

OEMs don’t always have the newest drivers, AMD has the neweset X399 drivers here: AMD.com

3 Likes

a format and reinstall will not change anything.

honestly if you are reliant on USB3 on a Gen 1 threadripper system, get an add in card and stuff it in a pcie slot.

ASRock has made USB3 tolerable on their gen 1 TR boards, but it still disconnects fairly often.

and yes, use the drivers from AMD, not your OEM.

1 Like

ASUS, not ASRock, but good advice. in the end.

Spent a good chunk of the weekend uninstalling, reinstalling, rolling back drivers. Got the AMD x399 specific ones and they didn’t work, failed install. Mystified, I began going through forum posts and saw one from a guy in the same boat as me, same Mobo, same issue. Ended up grabbing a set of ASMedia Dell drivers he recommended through catalog @ Microsoft (My system is home built and NOT Dell.) Installed them and it worked. 3.0 / 3.1 /3.2 USB all recognized. Then I ran the AMD drivers again and this time everything updated to latest version and all errors disappeared.

My HMD now connects on USB, but is still not seen by the HMD software. I see the preview correctly through SteamVR on my monitor, but still no display in the lenses. Replacement Link box and cable on the way.

1 Like

My point was it is not specific to a single board brand. All first gen TR boards have some usb3 issues.

A USB3 pcie card can be found for under 20$.

I think my current install started with that dell driver. I know i tried it at one point. It is the install that ‘works’ but occasionally randomly disconnects.

Thought I typed it out, but I did install an Inateck PCIe USB 3.2 USB and had the same issue. They have no drivers on their web site for the model I got. The image above shows that card.

My TR build has been bullet proof for a long time. However, it does look like I need to update my system. Waiting on 7000 Ryzen and / or TR 5000 releases.

1 Like

OK, final post on this subject. Tried everything, updating drivers, uninstalling drivers, rolling back drivers, nothing. Upgraded Windows to latest version, also nothing.

Formatted and reinstalled Windows on a spare SSD and boom, it worked first time when running off there. Played an hour of Beat Saber with my wife and all went perfectly well. Something in my old Windows install was corrupt and caused the HMD to not be recognized on USB 3.0. Only took a month of trying everything.

I currently have two Windows 10 installs and need to format and reinstall the older non-working copy on my NVMe, but that will be my project for next weekend.

I swear younare the 3rd of 4th person to have the exact same issue. Im wondering if its not a HMD issue since they are all.related to USB3/3.1 and VR headsets.

1 Like

There are a lot of Oculus / Vive / HP threads with HMD USB 3 issues. I read a lot of those and none of the solutions helped. The Windows reinstall was the last thing to try before RMA’ing the HMD. Really glad it worked. The Varjo Aero is an amazing piece of kit.

1 Like