USB 2.5g Adapter on True Nas

I’d like preface this briefly by saying, I know I shouldn’t be doing this, but I’m working with what I got.

I’m trying to use a 2.5 gb USB adapter on my NAS. I’m running my NAS using True NAS on an old Dell laptop with a 3rd with USB Drives attached (again, I know it’s a “NO NO,” but I’m working with what I got). The laptop has a built-in ethernet port which runs just fine.

My question is, how can I get True NAS Core to recognize the USB adapter? The adapter is this one from Cable Creation and can be found on amazon: 2.5G Ethernet to USB Adapter, CableCreation USB 3.0

Please no lecture on how I “shouldn’t be doing this because blah blah blah.” I know that already :stuck_out_tongue: . I want to know how I CAN do it, if it’s even possible. Thanks

Also how old is the Dell? Does it have USB 2.0 (the blue USB port)?

USB 1 has about 1Mbps transfer rate
USB 2 has about 480 Mbps transfer rate
USB 3 has about 1.2 Gbps transfer rate

It could work, but not as fast and in the case of the black/white USB port (USB 1), very slow. Also Core isn’t really driver friendly because it is FreeBSD and people have told me installing drivers for it is a very involved process. You may have more luck with Scale with that USB device.

It is at labeled as USB SS which is the same as USB 3.0. which is 4.8 Gbs in theory.
If True NAS core isn’t friendly enough to do it, I may be forced to change to True NAS Scale…but I want to brute force it if I can. It would make for a good tutorial because I know I’m not the only one asking this question…I’ve seen other forums where people asked and their met with an immediate barrage of “don’t do this” blah blah blah. I sympathize with them because I can see they’re working with what they have, but are trying to push the limits of their setup just like me.

1 Like

The obvious thing to try would be switching to truenas scale, which being Linux based has better driver support.

2 Likes

What Network Chip is inside that adapter?
That’ll determine whether it’s easily possible to get it working.

1 Like

From what I could gather, it’s Realtek. The Amazon page says to go to the Realtek site to download the drivers.

Dpending on your experience and willingness to have Updates break things, the following might point you in the right direction:

But I’d very much recommend switching to Scale, it’ll be easier and even has more functions.
I’ve got a Series of Guides on the Forum you can check out if that might help you.

1 Like