Upstorm: A distro

Well, first I’ll just build LFS x86_64 just to see if everything works. Then, set up cross compiling and build for PPC and test with qemu or something. Then change source versions to match with pkgsrc versions and test again!
At the moment I’m writing a bash script to automate building LFS.

Yeah… I lurk a lot. Should really post more.

1 Like

No I’ve just had a hell of a time lately. I’m just forgetful.

Probably a good idea. I’m gunna read the whole thing before I do anything at all.

See I wanted to roll this all on the G5 itself. I’d hate to have some cross compatibility BS pop up and have my mac pro 3,1 go “uhhhhhh, whats a powerpc?” and then have shit break. Ubuntu Mate 16.04 isn’t that bad on the machine. Actually its pretty snappy, if not crashy freezy at times. Then its annoying.

Neat.

I just need time to put to this.

1 Like

Are you insane!? Hardly anybody uses G5s for a reason…

Bud, did you learn nothing from our chats before?

Look at my fucking icon. Thats the image I want people to think of me as on here so they have 0 expectations.

Look at it this way. I can make a Pentium 4 play skyrim at 60FPS and not die a heatdeath. I wanna roll this on the hardware itself, not babysit the software off platform.

Built for target on target.

That way when you roll it you can see the holes, rather than depending on the VM to make it work, show you the holes, and then miss the giant error signs on the left because you were looking to the right. I wouldn’t be surprised if thats what the UBU Mate devs did and now the system will crash if you open an app and type on the keyboard at the same time. Thats why they gave up.

1 Like

Good luck
I like morphs idea, hey lets give it out for free and it slows to a crawl after 30 min.
“coders gotta eat”
No way I could help but it did spurn some interesting reading for the past hour…thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol yeah morph is uh… Well you would think they’do have a sale or somethitg.

1 Like

Got x86_64 LFS working. Use these scripts if you don’t feel like copying and pasting hundreds of commands.
https://mega.nz/#!z5IFDAbK!oCob_XdRU45hf19w_czAmw2HNB__hKgySmNBcEc1Ia0

1 Like

Thanks I’ll use this as a PC benchmark :U

Well, I’ve got the Mac! Turns out it’s a dual 1.8GHz with 512MB of RAM and Nvidia FX 5200 Ultra… That’s what you get for buying from just some guy on Ebay I guess. At least I can upgrade the RAM.

1 Like

And at least its a dual. 2.0 woulda been better, even single chip. Look on craigslist if it bugs you.

Just throwing in the obligatory BSD advocacy here. I think this could be a great opportunity to learn OpenBSD, for instance.

That said, do your thing. I wish you the best of luck.

1 Like

Um…guys?

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:PowerPC

Guy? Seriously guys? Guise? SRLY GUISE? GAIYS???

In all seriousness, I am pretty sure you can get opensuse or gentoo working on power PC and then use that to experiment with your package selection.

I want to say that I even remember someone talking about getting YAST to run on a G5 but I am not sure.

In any case if you figure out how to get opensuse working on your machine the way you want it, you can use other opensuse tools to basically turn it into a shippable distro. Its basically what geko linux does.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

2 Likes

Could do, yes, could do that with ubu mate. But the management core is part of the whole deal.

@stenstorp You crackin a cold one with the boys yet?

Had a couple of issues. Turns out it did have 2.5GB of RAM but 2GB wasn’t being detected. Filled the thing with 512MB ram sticks (4GB total) and it’s only recognizing 2GB of it… Managed to get Lubuntu 14.04 installed after it didn’t want to install on a 2TB drive I had lying around and the Graphics card doesn’t seem to like OpenGL since it can’t run glxgears.
I might need a bit to get to know the quirks of the machine. SOON tm

1 Like

I’m gunna run to the store, have dinner, get a shower, then I’ll run this with you if you want.

1 Like

We’ll do this tomorrow I’m womped. Just unloaded a trailer full of hay.

Hey, rather than doing everything from scratch, I found a distro made for alternate architectures designed around creating custom systems. It’s basically easy-mode LFS.
Also, the creator uses a G5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie-LHtRnIVQ

Well it seems stable. It’ll be useful if ubuntu runs like a turd.

You reckon we should be doing this in PMs? Save cluttering the thread.