Upstorm: A distro

Keep going, it’s “quality content”

2 Likes

If anyone has any input then I want them to poke in.

T2 is an interesting thing. I´ve never really looked at it I just saw server and skipped it.

If T2 isn´t a pain in the ass CLI wise and has packages covered I´d consider building an OS from it maybe.

T2 seems to be more useful[ than I thought. More on this at 11.

Haven’t been able to figure out how to install grub on PPC though. Apple partitioning is weird.

Normally you would use yaboot. I’ve heard it’s possible to use grub on G5s but I think you have to force the boot using OFW.

OFW boots like yaboot LiLo and ESL will work fine.

OK, fixed a problem already. building gdbm-1.16 using ./scripts/Emerge-pkg gdbm fails however, gdbm 1.14 builds fine (Probably why LFS uses it).

To build 1.14 edit t2-trunk/packages/database/gdbm/gdbm.desc changing the 3rd to last line from [V] 1.16 to [V] 1.14 and changing the last line to
[D] d37cba676b0c7dd26f4ad1a78b5a994ed34e8ee18b3a229999742d54 gdbm-1.14.tar.gz ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gdbm/

Just to make sure, delete the gdbm-1.16 source with rm download/mirror/g/gdbm-1.16.tar.zst from the t2-trunk directory.

Yea I was confused. What I was thinking of was not bootloaders but partitioning, if your disk is purely MBR you will need to force the boot in OFW.

thats why you use gpt dumme

Does GPT even work? I thought you had to use APM
Tell it to the OpenBSD guys I guess…

It works on the later versions of the G4 laptops, my A1133 late 2005 iBook G4 works with it. So I assume it would with the newest flash of OFW.

G5’s and G4’s are my favorite machines atm for a reason. You have to work at it to take it as far as you can, just like the demoscene back in the day. Modern demoscene isn’t as exciting on these sorta machines, but thats why I have amiga’s I guess.

How do you update the firmware?

So OFW is basically cut down unix. Theres a lot of commands for almost everything from looking in hard drives and using DD to mirror a failing drive to a working one all the way to system management tests and scans. Theres a whole suite just for the sensors. Its intense, and all fits in 8mb of space on a flash chip.

So it used to be you needed a floppy, but in the CD only machines I think there IS a way to force mount a CD. You can do it from a hard drive, its not impossible, but the tool is confusing so you could overwrite a hard drive by accident.

So where’s the update tool?

Built into OFW.

Yeah but how do you do it?

Oh, similar to how you´d flash a dos machine back in the day. Couple commands to run the suite and mount the areas you want to flash, load the payload, inject, tada.

Same way you flash OFW to GPU´s actually.

Could you be a bit more specific? I want to update the firmware on mine.

Why? Genuinely curious. I´ll find a link.

You were saying you could boot from GPT after updating the firmware. That sounds so much easier than the Apple partition stuff.

Ahahaha on really late model G5´s like the 2.7GHz dualie or the quads. Most of the time it´ll ignore you even if you flash newer firmwares… Doesn´t work on any machines.

Also the quads are supposedly GPT able out of the box but I don´t have acces to one so IDK personally.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1965.0

Theres some other forum threads out there that are references, but I think this is the one I studied the most? I´m about to sleep so I´ll dig up the others tomorrow when I get up.