UPS that is a bit hidden away, any out there?

w2mz4ss9c0p11
are you spider man? because your cables are like cobwebs

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t know since I haven’t used FreeNAS.

Also, the runtime calculator might be useful in your selection: https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/tools/runtimes/

Seems realistic, as the CP1500PFCLCD was showing 120+ minutes runtime for my 2700X system at idle (with monitor off) during a recent power outage.

1 Like

Checked it and it doesen’t have a battery health status. That’s also to be expected since it’s using a 12V lead-acid “dumb” battery. But it shows the battery voltage so you can gauge from that if the battery is doing well or not.

1 Like

Would not that be totally simulated unless you power cycled the power off and measured it ? The whole point of UPS is that 5-0% of time when the power is off. Or for dirty power the isolation and power conditioning 24/7 ?

1 Like

It’s worse inside the case - I’ll have to share a pic to shock you :scream:

No worries mate.

That’s a handy calc, nice one!

That’s a pretty good run time, more than enough :+1:

Thanks for checking. With my motorbike, if I want to check the power (very roughly), I put a voltmeter on the battery as I thumb the starter. If it drops fairly low, I know if I need to suffer the expense of a replacement or not. Sometimes it’s necessary…bloody English weather :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m sure I’ve had UPS in the past that do a test load to determine the battery condition, but I could be wrong.

The measurement of the battery voltage is accurate, in this case I think, because the unit is line-interactive so the battery it’s not connectd all the time. Also the unit can do a self test and has a battery indicator into the LCD to let you know if it needs to be changed.
Isolation and power conditioning made by a UPS are minimal. If you want that you need a power rectifier (not sure about the naming) which I had and it’s a completly different tool, a big ass box that weights 60 pounds or more and it’s dedicated to filter the power going to electronic devices.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the only way to check the health of those kind of batteries.

The UPS I have has a self test you can launch or schedule so it can be reliable all the time.

1 Like

04luj00663p11
i’m ready whenever you are

1 Like

On the UPS Pro you can disable the audible alarm with the middle button on the front.

I connect mine with a USB cable & use apcupsd to shut it down. I get around 35 minutes on battery.

XFCE Power Manager can display the time remaining on battery.

If you are running a NAS & wanted native zfs encryption see my note here.

That’s probably a bit over kill for me, thanks again for clarifying :+1:

Nice one, really reassuring to know re the self test :slight_smile:

:joy::rofl::joy: Brilliant froggy’s…and you’re on, I’ll take pics tomorrow :wink::scream:

Thank you mate, really helpful to know, especially about NAS, when the day comes :+1:

Nothing important: Just figured how you can multi answer with this forum, very smart Wendell!

Just for you froggy :wink:

2 Likes
  1. Nice cooler
  2. A little cable management never hurt anyone
1 Like

Hi maze, just wanted to say sorry I didn’t see your message, no idea why! Yes though, I am in the UK. A PC case would be OK if I end up putting it somewhere hidden away…part of me now even wonders about a false wall. Saying that, the design could be changing soon as I’m going to ask the local neighbours what they think of the proposal :scream:

1. Fanx :smiley:
  2. It’s on the todo list…made worse by the 6 HDD’s in there :confused:
1 Like

160927210830-tk-ah0927-exlarge-169
not sure how i feel about this… it’s clean… yet wires going in every direction…

1 Like

Yeah, you definitely don’t need a box like that. I got one from a company that was doing a server room overhaul. Neither is to say that I sold it a couple months after because was too big and didn’t give me much benefits anyway.

1 Like

They are a little sporadic, but all of them have a purpose. When I get a moment, I’m going to make tidy - froggy may even become proud of the job :slight_smile:

Of course…being self-employed, if I have a spare moment, I normally start to panic, such is sole trader life! :scream:

Oh hey ho, at least you tried it for size :slight_smile:

In an ideal world, I would have some solar panels (perfect flat roof, good sunlight), get me some deep cell batteries and be fine for long term electrical failures. However, that would probably ad £2,000 and a lot of my time to fit, neither of which I have. SadFace :frowning: