Upgrading windows, question for Wendell generic

You know, like generic drug. Eh, thought it was funny :smiley:

To make the very long story short. I am on windows 8.1 on a very old computer. All is fine but more and more programs aren’t supported anymore. I plan to buy a new computer in about a year or 2 and move to windows 11 or hopefuly 12. But for those 2 more years i want to move to windows 10 since i have a legit cd key (not saying i dont for windows 8.1, but not saying i do either).

So my question is this: can i just use the “get new windows for new features” button in my computer to upgrade to windows 10 and hopefuly keep most of my programs and tweaks i made over the years ? Now, im in this game long enough to know clean install is the way to go but clean install is a few full days game for me with a few weeks of research. Now i just need something for 1 year that will run the latest Topaz things. Since i never before upgraded like that, what can i expect. What happens to programs i got installed when i move from 8.1 to 10 ? What about custom shell ? Custom shell extensions ? I will make full disk clone and all backups just incase.

7, 8, and 10 are all essentially the same OS; no worries about upgrading.

1 Like

I would at least upgrade to the maximum memory the board is capable of handling.
Before running an upgrade back up any software and your files to an external drive.
Once the upgrade is done, optimize the machine for performance.( however graphics may suffer)
But be aware win10 and 11 will run slow on that machine.

I’m pretty sure you can use your Win10 key to get Win11. Win10 reaches end of life by Q4 2026 if I recall…