Upgrading My Shitty Laptop

The ram is still the same. I think. Actually this highlights to me that new software needs to be written for the kernel to control this shit wtf.

Welp I found my first linux kernel patch

lmsensors doesn’t pick up anything except the hard drive like wtf

I think I used to have a Dolan laptop, didn’t OC it, thought about it but never did

I think old tech like this needs to be observed more and taken note of what it can do. Certainly with a little bit of work, this laptop can be godly.

I need a 745, 755, 765, and some LV chips to test.

I haven’t had much luck in the way of sensors with Linux, windows always had better software for sensors, which is kinda weird since Linux is all about getting down and dirty with the hardware

again the reason for this project, and a push for hardware freedom in general.

This is political work if nothing else.

Same as your grid and tesla project actually lol

If you can get one of those express card risers for a DX11 GPU and had win7 installed, you could technically run Firestrike and get a TON of hwbot points for a chip nobody has EVER run Firestrike on

Squints who in the hell is running Firestrike of a Dolan mobile chip and a GTX 480?”

1 Like

If Pentium M has the same limitations as Core Duo notebooks, I wouldn’t expect 8GB of memory is possible unless the OEM had late board revisions that fixed voltage stability–this was a common weirdness as some boards could do 8GB or only 6GB.

Using a desktop low voltage chip might be possible if the BIOS can be modded, I remember years ago some Athlon64 notebooks were able to be BIOS modded to use dual-core chips as long as the chip was the same power usage or lower.

You know, thats a good fucking idea.

@wendell mail me a 2080 stat

That sounds amazing and I am doing that but no intel boxes can’t do that shit lol everything is hard programmed for everything else.

Yeah, theres modded bios. Unfortunately the bios doesn’t have FPT, or at least the 120 bios doesn’t, so I assume I’m stuck at 2 or 4GB after a bios update. But hey I can dream.

Can I solder a temp probe to a motherboard and make it work?

Can someone find me a chinese version of this for 20 bucks?

Not gunna make a lot of progress on research today but I have some things planned out. Gunna get a few processors from… well somewhere, and I’m going to buy some ram today, or at least go take pictures of a whole fuck load of dimms and sodimms.

I’m thinking this is going to end up as a thing that will greatly be enhanced by coreboot and openfirmware if I can get it to work. Having a direct line to all the sensors would be a hell of a lot better, and writing software to detect i2c inputs off of OFW is a HELL of a lot easier than fucking modding proprietary bios files. I’ll leave that shit to the russians.

I doubt it can handle the heat,

Thats my problem not dell’s hardware designers

@amarvir02 is here, what do you think

Benchmark comparisons

backtrack research as I have an 855pm laptop (HP NW8000)

Hey-Yo. I’m assuming these CPUs are modern enough to have throttling capabilities, no? Because otherwise, if you’re using a part with a higher power rating than the cooling capabilities of the laptop, it’ll probably just get crazy warm.
I’ve never tried this before so I wouldn’t really know.

Yup, Pentium M comes w/ throttling behaviorr. So, it’ll be fine, it’ll also probably run like crap, constantly flipping frequencies lest you manually tune clocks yourself

actually it runs great. This was a common practice back in the day and extended the life of PM’s well inte the core 2 and early core i years.

I’ll be posting stuff soon. The pentium M is not meant to be the main processor by any means. If anything it acts as a secure terminal to the actual processor in the machine, being the SBC of choice. I’m currentlylooking at Ras Pi Zero level stuff, perhaps RV because low power, to do battery management and extra port stuff, such as USB C. The USB C port would just go in the kensington lock hole.

I need to design either a battery controller and a usb / additions controller seperately, or I need something thats all in one that can handle shit.

If you want to help, my telegram is in my dingus.

http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc_main.htm

So this basically is what I need to do for the linux kernel but built for windows XP.

Fascinating thing here.

So I put a 725 in the machine, pinmodded it, and its running 2.13. Interestingly enough, its using about the same power as the other chip, but the battery is caving in on itself.

Honestly I think its just age deterioration but I could be wrong. The power system in the laptop DOES NOT REPORT AT ALL CORRECTLY IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER. I would NOT expect other laptops to report accurately, at all. As there was a whole toolkit built to do this shit with, NHC, it makes sense to me that linux needs that basically built in and going if its a centrino system. You just need it, theres no other option. Its like adding openfirmware capabilities without using openfirmware.

I’m installing 2000 server to a drive tonight and I’m gunna play with it some and see what I end up with. I am going to end up needing either more msata drives to just swap between here soon or just some extra hdd’s to use.

Unless someone wants to buy me a 512gb msata disk, that’d be nice.

Anyways I’m buying a new battery rn because this one is just deteriorating. I’d recommend if you’re going to buy a centrino system at all, you should make sure you can get new batteries for it, and even investigate factories making bigger batteries for you.

This is quickly becoming bigger than just this laptop and I’m getting the feeling I need a new thread. Will be doing so soon

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.