Upgrading My Shitty Laptop

Fuck I need sse3

3 Likes

Fancy recompiling every package from source? heh

Thatā€™s a bit of a shitter. What are your next steps?

1 Like

Actually void has tools built in to do it. Its just a few things for setup and youā€™re building.

Next steps? Idk. Express card sse3 accelerator? X3

Use firefox, thats about it.

2 Likes

So a little update to this project and some future plans. I have decided I officially want to add usb C. Whether thats taking a usb 2 port and just putting a C port there, or taking the power plug out and putting it there. IDK yet tbh, and I still need to map out where shit will go.

I figure I can put like an arduino or something into the HDD bay if I donā€™t have anything in there and it can act as a sort of controller and just pass through to USB. Something like that at least. Or maybe a ras pi, or bigger, latte panda. Micro ryzen? IDK. Theres ideas. And itā€™d need to be able to talk over the modem specifically, Its a completely separate chip in the laptop that handles the sound processing and liberation for anything related to 56k and down dial up. If I can just do a serial connection to the computer in the bay with a super short and super thin phone cable, hell, I can just pop a small hole in the case and run it to the gpio pins.

At this capacity, I could connect something over PCIe thru the expresscard port and shove it into the hdd bay. If there was something small enough, Iā€™d stuff a 1050ti under there and call it a day, but Iā€™m not sure I really want to do that XDDDDD

But either way, with a system like this you have a really lot of options, and thats one reason I really love older systems like these. Before ME, DDR2, really hackable machines. DDR1 is just plain too slow, and most DDR2 machines can be bios hacked to at least run 533, which is a pretty good boost from 400 and in system you do notice a difference.

Back to the GPU idea, if I were to do something like that itā€™d need to be sleek and low power, but have enough oomph to be worth anything. Itā€™d need to be fast enough on a pcie 1.0 4X lane, I think it MIGHT get 2 lanes actually being a big enough device, that I could have CUDA do something or have some AMD stuff going for AI toys, something. Either way I want something as a co-processor to be able to offload tasks from the main chip. I want mostly stuff like firefox, homebank, abiword notes, stuff like that on the linux drive in the laptop. But the SBC could do like gaming, or run modern apps and I could come up with a ā€œPassthroughā€ system of sorts. Hell I could run an ethernet cable and a phone line and have steam in home steaming from the SBC to the B130 andTECHNICALLY game on it XDD. IDK thats pushing the envelope a little.

Iā€™m still trying to even figure out what Iā€™m going to do about my swap situation. I donā€™t have trim, or really the ability to add it unless its softwareā€¦ which Iā€™m likeā€¦ mehā€¦ CPU cycles man. I need those. Iā€™d rather not waste random bullshit on the PM, its a secure processor, of sorts. If possible, Iā€™d rather keep private data on the B130 and bullshit whatever on the secondary.

If I do a complete SSD for my boot and storage, Iā€™m going to run into chip thrashing and Iā€™ll kill the disk. If I do an SSD in the disk drive bay and an HDD in the B130 bay, I wonā€™t have space for cool shit, or at least as much. But if I donā€™t do any sort of HDD at all Iā€™m going to not have any swappable drive space, and thatsā€¦ not gunna help me much with a 2GB system, lol. And Iā€™ve tried the .5 to 3GB method, as well as the jig method, you canā€™t trick it, the platform plain ass just canā€™t read 3GB or anything more than 2. Maybe 2 and 128mb, but like who gives a shit. Then I think about an SSHD but like are there 256GB 2TB ones? Because Iā€™d want something with a big SSD and a big hard drive at that point and not even fuck around.

I could maybe direct wire 128mb of ram from the ram slot its in to the 915GL (its not a 910, hardinfo said), but itā€™d be an effort and ech, bios editing. Iā€™d rather not, though the platform is capable of it and Iā€™ve seen it done.

Also a quick run down on the drive setup as is rn. I am going to get a CD drive bay dingus because the optical drive is on the same bus as the hard drive, and its direct line to the cpu, basically. Because the HDD and the CD drive are on the same bus, the only difference is the throughput of the connector itself at that point, which Iā€™m pretty sure is irrelevant. Everything about this platform is nearly direct access CPU wise, and with enough patience and effort, a lot can be made out of something that was a 20 dollar ebay find at 3AM when I was depressed.

So I mean hey, whatever. Tho I think Iā€™m gunna be adding shit I think is dank and just piss ppl off XDDD idk. LMK what yall think. If you have sbc suggestions, I will listen.

woot

@THEkitchenSINK

Edit: Pentium M Overclocking | Hackaday

Excuse me

533 or 800, so its a sonoma, actually a sonoma+

So really what I want to be looking for here is a good in the middle CPU of sorts. This laptop can take a 780 no problem, it was actually the deluxe package and the advertised model, so maybe Iā€™ll keep the 760 I have.

I see mention of someone on hackaday saying they were going to take a 760 to 2.6ghz. Iā€™dā€¦ Iā€™d appreciate that. A lot actually. So would my youtube performance, and gaming performance for that matter.

Well this is a neat discovery. Now I need to find a few extra boards for just in case.

Edit 2: Evidentally this laptop has a dip switch to OC for you.

o3o aight, Iā€™m getting ideas for that SBC now.

Fuck Iā€™m gunna need a thermal probe.

Edit 3: I also want an always on usb port. It can even be hooked up to its own battery and the battery can charge off of other USB ports or something. Be a phone battery so its slim. I just want to be able to plug in a phone and have it dump power in. Itā€™d be handy, and nice to not have it be off the mains.

2 Likes

Can you replace the crystal to OC?

1 Like

I donā€™t think thats a thing?

1 Like

Hot damn

So if I pin mod this thing itā€™ll run at 2.66 ghz

That kryonaut not lookin too bad now

@wendell dude do I make a shitload of these things and sell them as hobby computers XD stuff a raspi in the hard drive door, do the connections, sell as a middle schooler computer kit xD

Edit: What the actual fuck is this

@THEkitchenSINK

I think Iā€™m falling in love with this wtf

EDit Whatever: Found a posting that has a board for cheap. Claims to have a 1.9 ghz cpu, but I donā€™t think theres a 1.9ghz PM? At least not to my recollection.

Either way Iā€™m buying an extra board in case pinmodding this thing goes haywire. I donā€™t think it will? I see ppl saying 800mhz fsb speeds have happened, sooooā€¦ Dunno. Interested tho.

Also apparently theres a bios compatability flag in the different models called ā€œFPTā€ that allows for 3GB or 4GB of ram, depending on your chipset setup and all that crap. I donā€™t think this laptop has it though, sadly, so again Iā€™ll have to think about swap space.

However, I was drunk last night. SBC in the HDD bay? Naw, CD drive bay if nothing else, and I can cut the bottom of the bay off to fit a thicker SBC, though I donā€™t want a chungus SBC under there. Actually I was thinking something with a 1200G, and if put together correctly, I have some opportunity.

Still wanna know if pplā€™d buy these tho.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/799121-Approaching-Overclocking-Pentium-M-s-Worried-About-which-chip-to-use?p=8165699#post8165699

Edit Something something: I have messaged a battery factory about making me some double capacity batteries for testing. So that could be 8-10k mah battery capacity, which with what Iā€™m doing, I need that. My only concern is will the laptop explode? Why donā€™t I see laptops with batteries like that? Can they not manage it? Would I need an external charger or something? (thatā€™d be rad as fuck actually)

Iā€™ll need to wait for a reply from that factory for answers to that, but who knows if theyā€™ll even do it. Iā€™ll have to look around for a while probably.

Edit atohetaoheb: https://youtu.be/U_JJazkYpqk

Interesting. PMā€™s can run W10. lul

1 Like

I am noticing my chip has no memory reshrictions built in and the 915gl can do 8gb of ramā€¦

Ahem, wheres my russian buddahs at

Edit: Physical Address Extension - Wikipedia

Doing some quik mafs

Hmmm

Uh okay

Ok so reading some shit here, it looks like I should be able to do some modding here or there to get more ramā€¦ 4gb minimum in my book, so I think that can at least be done. But with the features I have, I think I can get 8gb ram at a full 800mhz.

Does anyone know where I can get those dumbass rare 1066mhz laptop sodimms that were ddr2? I know of 3 kits ever released, but I donā€™t know the product model off hand. I think gskill released one? And maaaaaybe corsair? I donā€™t know though completely, and I know they are rare as is.

Looking at the power delivery, I think it could handle havind some heavy power ram. Still waiting for an email back from the battery factory. Wanna get 10k batts for these. Thatā€™d be awesome, and itā€™d get at leost 6 hours when Iā€™m all done if I get the right sbc.

Iā€™m thinging atom based, not ryzen. Thatā€™ll be hell to keep cold, and I could get something that has like an iris 620 or something on it. Thatā€™d be great. LV i3ā€™s.

Well, off my poop break.

2 Likes

its a passive liquid cooling rad that i looked at on my flexseal project i found their rads while more modular higher temps for higher cost
i tested with one of my cylinder rads and with similar system to this but turned desktop i got wayyyyyyyy better for the cost of 60$ and less area

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/361/Alphacool-CORA-662-Passive-Water-Cooling-Kit-Review/0
alpha cool made a product for this

mine is cooler and better and fuck the man my ghetto ass system is stupid and i could never get it to pass 70ish c so im hype to revive it soon

i found single pass does not allow water to transefer enough heat aluminium accepts heat and dissipates heat while hotter

so keeping the water in the rad longer helps allow this faster in my system compared

2 Likes

Thicken the liquid

2 Likes

http://www.pchardwarelinks.com/elec_pentium.htm

So going off this data, pentium Mā€™s are like the LAST thing, 26 amps.

Iā€™m looking at this.

and I looked up this

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/eaton-electronics-division/HCM1A1707-4R7-R/6820079

Thats an 18A choke, and theres a few of each. I bet one is high and one is low, and performance mode uses both, with balance being only high, and battery save being only low. These old systems are pretty simple when it comes to that, and you can sometimes edit the specific powermodes. I might do that, idk yet.

But anyways its looking to me like overclocking a 760 wonā€™t really be a problem. So Iā€™ll be getting to that soon enough, possibly tomorrow.

As well, Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that 8GB ram is theoretically possible, however I think its gunna be one of those weird 6GB conundrums if I get it to work, and I donā€™t want to deal with that. So Iā€™m gunna try for 4GB at 677, at most. 800 is pushing it, and the cpu needs power.

Snoozey time.

1 Like

Hello Aremis you did amazing work. Best regards from Poland :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lulw looking at that post and the board, I was high as fuck.

The board does still have a high low power state, duh, but not at all that way its all logitlc and software.

Anyways, still looking at how everything goes together here. Really I just donā€™t want to blow anything up by suddenly near doubling power draw.

I,ll show you guys the block in this thing tho, I swear to god they built this thing to overclock it.

You know what a new boarhld is ten to twenty bucks fuck it Iā€™ll just do it and see what happens

1 Like

So apparently with a bios update you can do 4GB. I bet with 2 wires you can do 8.

Also I find this amusing.

POPULAR

2 Likes

The pin mod is a thing and I ran my PM overclocked like that for years!

Essentially I got a ā€œwhite bookā€ laptop which was all the rage back then installed all the parts, tested that it worked by installing an OS. Then I promptly turned it off, pull it open and did the pin mod. I voided my warranty is under 1h :slight_smile: That laptop ran until it was stolen and was my daily driver for 6 years.

I also under volted the CPU in the bios because I could

2 Likes

Can you help me then? I tried to pin mod but I think my wire is mixed metals. Does it have to be str8 copper?

1 Like

I would use the copper wire out of a cat5 cable.

2 Likes

Hmmmm I think I can do that

Ok so I need a different processor. The 760 apparently has a locked multiplier, so all I can get is potentially 8GB ram and 800mhz FSB. I think the 765 is the fastest I could get and OC, so Iā€™m going to do that. Iā€™m gunna leave the pin in place tho, and I have a 740 that I could give it a shot with in the meantime.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/452126-The-Ultimate-Pentium-m-Pinmod-Voltmod-Guide

My original pentium M that is actually the pentium M from my original laptop (An HP NC6000) is a pentium M 725.

Imma throw this bitch in see what happens.

I think the die is chippedā€¦

Oh well fuck it anyways. Actually that may explain why my laptop didnā€™t work XD

Well it posts, though when it booted up at first it threw garbage all over the display in neon colors and then posted.

I think Iā€™ll keep this proc its working fine now lol, running 2.13ghzā€¦ hmmm, ok. This is actually interesting info for me. A 33% increase to a 1.6ghz chip that I thought was garbage, this thing is gunna crank now and I already know it. Lets see if it boots o.o

Holy dick this thing just blew thru the memory check like a boss what the fuck

Fascinating that in system it doesnā€™t report the clock, just some generic name. Iā€™m going to mount a temp probe in the cooler and connect it to the laptop somehow, or at least watch it using my desktopā€™s temp port as a monitor.

Testing tomorrow. Really excited now.

Thinking a bit ree ree rn. This thing is socket 479, what if I put a desktop chip in it xD

Did it OC the ram as well, did it keep its timings the same?