Upgraded my hardware and now I can't reinstall Pop!_OS

Hello level1techs! Hopefully you can point me in the right direction, as I don’t know where to go from here.

I upgraded my RAM over the weekend filling the last two slots; my Asus x470 motherboard refused to POST afterwards until I upgraded the BIOS from v2008 to v3004. After fixing that, I then could not boot into my previous Pop!_OS installation; it would not decrypt the partition on the nvme with my password. This could have been caused by me removing the CPU or CMOS when trying to fix the hardware issue.

So I’ve been trying to reinstall Pop!_OS since then. From https://pop-planet.info/forums/threads/pop-_os-not-installing-check-this-first.254/ I have tried:

Redownloading the iso and verifying the checksum

Using Etcher

Disabling Fastboot, Secureboot, and Legacy boot

Removing the Sata cables from my other hard drives and CD drive, only leaving the nvme.

Trying to do an encrypted and an unencrypted install, and formatting the nvme beforehand.

The errors I see in the installer.log are:

[ERROR distinst:ffi/src/lib.rs:48] libdistinst: pointer in FFI is null

(encryption)

[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] partitioning error: failed to commit logical partitions: unable to open encrypted volume ‘"/dev/nvme0n1p3"’: cryptsetup failed with status: 2 (No such file or directory (os error 2))

[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:298] errored while installing system: failed to commit logical partitions: unable to open encrypted volume ‘"/dev/nvme0n1p3"’: cryptsetup failed with status: 2 (No such file or directory (os error 2))

(no encryption)

[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] extracting error: archive extraction failed with status: exit code: 1

[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:298] errored while installing system: archive extraction failed with status: exit code: 1

Here are the full log files: https://github.com/Browncoat97/pop_os-installer_logs

1 Like

Have you tried using a different USB? Looking at the logs it seems there’s some form of corruption during the install.

I would nuke the NVMe drive, etcher the new usb, verify and try again.

1 Like

It worked! Thank you!

1 Like

Glad I could help. <3

1 Like