Upgrade B450 Tomahawk OG Ryzen 5000?

Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the original MSI B450 Tomawawk to Ryzen 5000/Zen 3? I am not talking about the Tomahawk Max, which came with a larger BIOS, but rather the Rev 1 board which had a smaller ROM.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-tomahawk/support#cpu

obraz

1 Like

Seems like it should work if you do a BIOS update to latest version - atleast according to MSI. Hoping someone else can confirm though.

All the MSI 450 boards run RYZEN 5000. Probably don’t even need to update the BIOS to make it work.

That is just a wrong statement.

More than likely need to update the bios. But b450 should be fine with 5000. I mean I’m running one of my 5950xs on a aorus b450

I stuck a 5600 in an MSI board then remembered I’d forgotten to update the BIOS when I had the 2700 in there. No problem it booted anyway. I did update the BIOS but it was not nessasary.

It should work with a bios update if Msi has it available for the said board.
However depending on the size of the used bios chip on the board,
it could be that you loose support for certain older cpu´s.

Given that the original B450 Tomahawk has a flashback option that does not require a working CPU to use, I would say, just do it. You have a backup option if required.

In the absolute worst case you need to upgrade to a B550 Tomahawk for $169 (or a MSI Pro-VDH Wifi for $109, if that is too steep). OTOH, if you also buy RAM that means you can probably now sell your old system core (MB, RAM, CPU) for ~$150-$200 and recoup a bit of money that way. Not a terrible deal all things considered.

Most facts point to this not being necessary though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.