Upgrade advice

Looking to upgrade my current setup and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Current setup:
-R710 2-X5670 and 48 Gig ram FreeNAS
3 4TB hard drives
-lenovo sa120 connected via SAS9200-8E
10 4TB
2 8TB

-R620 2-E5-2620 160Gig ram ESXI
Multiple VMS

Budget for equipment $400

I am looking for a way to expand my storage. I need something that is kinda quiet (wife approval) and the lower the power usage the better.

Was looking at NETAPP DS4243 or NetApp DS4246 with 9202-16e or 9206-16e and remove the R710 and use the ESXI pass thru and upgrade the CPU’s.

OR

Do a new server build with supermicro 4U BPN-SAS2-846EL1

OR

Something else totally different.

yes a disk shelf and another SAS expander could be an good option to get bays if you want to move the freenas instance to a VM with the HBA passed through. Hardware is up to it, assuming you have rack space for another box.

Or just upgrade the disks in situ to higher capacities. Hard to do for $400 though unless you had budgeted separately for disks. How are your pools split across 13 X 4TiB drives?

Those are nice servers but if you want to grow capacity I’d either add a dumb shelf or go with the new 4U server and converge the lot… I’m thinking of doing this in my next upgrade.

Thanks. the disk storage is separate. I was thinking about adding another DAS so i an not in the same boat in a year of so from now.

I am kinda worry about the Netapp because of power usage and sound.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.