Updating to OS X Mavericks

Hello, I have an iMac (2010) that I trying to update to Mavericks. I am updating it from OS X 10.6.8. I am stuck in the installation black screen, and every time I try to install it it says that the hard drive is corrupt. Now my goal is to boot it back to OS X 10.6.8, so I can try again. I take any suggestions. Ask below if i missed anything. Thanks! BTW I am not an every day OS X user, so I may not know a lot of stuff. 

You aren't the only one having this problem. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5466924?start=0&tstart=0

This could be of help. Thanks!

I think Mavericks is free if I'm not mistaken. With that said, could you download the .iso and do a clean install?

I thought it was more along the lines of windows 8.1.

A free update to those who own the OS already.

That's what I thought too. I did happen to find several websites that had the Mavericks .iso for download. I won't link to those for legal reasons, and the fact that I can't verify the legitimacy of the file.

If you own a Mac it is compatible with, it is free.

Macbook Pro user here. I was able to upgrade to 10.9 from 10.8. It's free if your specific Mac is compatible with the newer version.

yeah update from mountan lion to maverick should work without manny issues. you have to look if indeed the mac is compatible with the newer version.

10.9 to 10.8, because..... logic

Your iMac should be compatible, as my macbook pro (mid-2010) is compatible. It took about an hour and a half to do the update, and it will appear to get stuck frequently. Give it lots of time and it will probably finish the install. Otherwise, the best advice that I can give is to take it down to your local Apple store. Apple devices are nice because of how infrequently people have to actually do maintenance or repairs to them, but occasionally things will still go wrong, and that is why they have a maintenance staff on hand at their stores, not only to help with the transfer to Mac, but also to help those with issues on their existing Macs.

From Apple.

To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:

• iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
  • MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
  • Xserve (Early 2009) 

Your Mac also needs:

• OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Did you back up your system before trying to install Mavericks?  Might want to try booting in recovery and either restoring by wifi or restoring from an old backup if you have one.  Or you may need to reboot using the boot disk if you have a physical copy still.