Updating the server firmware

Hi
I have had quite bit of trouble, trying to update the firmware on the second IBM system X3550 M3 server. TLDR, Lenovo’s BoMC is the only platform/OS independant version I got running, all of IBM’s stuff refuses to start, because “this program is not supported on your OS”.

The lenovo BoMC managed to update the firmware of the first server, but not the second
Here are the version, where I started
SVR2 (the more up to date)

Host Firmware (UEFI)

Version 1.08

Build ID D6E148BUS

Build date (AM. 06/25/2010 /Others 25.06.2010)

IMM (integrated management module)

Version 1.48 YU00G8C

Date 14.04.2015

Diagnostics

Ver. 3.10

Build ID DSYT70X

Build date 12.06.2010

SVR1 (more out of date)

Host Firmware (UEFI)

Version 1.08

Build ID D6E148BUS

Build date (AM. 06/25/2010 /Others 25.06.2010)

IMM

Ver. 1.14

Build ID YU0073M

Build Date 22.06.2010

Diagnostics

Ver. 3.10

Build ID DSYT70X

Build date 12.06.2010

Both systems are type 7944 configuration.

Currently, the only “supported” OS for updates seems to SLES 11, but I have not been able to deploy that. My linux skills aren’t yet up to that level, and TLDR, I would prefer not to use any specific OS to update.
I have already tried to use the windows 10 and the test variant of windows server 2019.
The IBM or Lenovo update tools won’t start on a unsupported system.
And I fear that the IMM (Integrated management module) is corrupted, ergo It does not let any changes to be made to the BIOS setup, firmware update etc.
Any ideas?

It seems cut and dry. They hard coded a version release that supports certain OS version and you don’t meet the requirements. There is probably something in those OS version that they require so forcing an update is basically going out of band and you are on your own.

Could you not just run a Live Distro release and do the update?

Cannot do a live disto sadly
I managed to install CentOS7, SLES11 I cannot even get to install
Installer get’s stuck. And my skills aren’t really wide enough for an install on linux without the guide.

1 Like

Roger that. I am sorry to hear that.

1 Like

Yeah, I really appriceiate the input, but sadly, I have not been able to find a way around the broken management engine, so I have to say I cannot find a way to fix it, due to that issue
Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.