Update on using my usb-c l1kvm with a thunderbolt 4 dock

A little preface: So I have an Asus laptop that will only use their own power brick for anything over 65w. I originally thought my l1kvm wasn’t supplying more than 65w and went looking for a larger power brick to connect - turns out it already has 120w and my issue was an Asus issue. This is a problem because I only have 2 type-c ports. Mix in the USB-C KVM and now I only have a Type A USB 2.0 1a type A port left.

What I wanted - only one monitor switched and one monitor static. A little difficult to do when you have a single monitor KVM and no other available ports…

Enter the Anker Thunderbolt 4 dock (currently $85). Hands down, this thing saved my sanity and from eating a restocking fee. My KVM is connected to my work laptop directly, and then connected to my thunderbolt 4 dock (which of course is connected to my personal laptop). I have a 100hz 34" 1440p monitor connected to the KVM and a 27" 170hz connected to the thunderbolt dock. Everything works flawlessly.

So for anyone limited on USB-C ports and happens to have a Thunderbolt 4 port… get yourself a thunderbolt 4 dock. Probably obvious to some of you but for somebody like me whose never needed to use a thunderbolt 4 port - it’s a life saver.