Upcoming Linux Channel Vids - Want Input

@flamesilver

Yes I saw that awhile ago and bookmarked it. I am collecting as much as I can before I leave for Uni in a few days. There will be no Windows when I am at school so it will be an adventure. (I have a win 7 HDD just in case the profs are picky).

1 Like

Cool, hope the switch to Linux goes well :D Send me a message or reply to my post if you have any questions or queries about Blender

I think that this point is the biggest problem in making Linux tutorials.
There needs to be an emphasis on teaching the concept and having the student understand the commands they are running rather than a guide for every hardware config with every distro with Step 1: Open Terminal Step 2: copy pasta.

But at the same time that is a lot more difficult for true new users to follow.
I am not sure how to do that exactly right either i just know its a problem

1 Like

I would suggest Digital Ocean over YUNoHost.

Also, your hacker series could/would be immensely boosted by teaming up with Darren from Hak5.

Also, I still don't know why you guys seem to refuse to contact Jupiter Broadcasting and work with them on Linux stuff. Those guys have been doing this sort of thing for years. They are also in the Washington State/Seattle area. Chris Fisher is one cool dude. He is the main host of the Linux Action Show as well as Linux Unplugged. He would be able to provide a much needed resource for many projects and could most likely help Logan tackle many if not all of his Windows to Linux problems.

Twitter! @ChrisLAS

I just have a general suggestion: Can there be a place for users to make different guide to upload to your site? / a forum branch that is "Linux video A by X" for guides on how this stuff works?

I'll admit I am interested in the cloud stuff. I'm also interested in making someone's refrigerator yell at the children when they want ice cream. I couldn't ask anyone about that I would have to dig that up myself and whaludbwid. I just kinda wish there was a place on here for people who want to make videos for future users to see that have to do both with desktop and daily use as well as server router backup whatever.

Excited about what you're doing, yeah, but lets open source the open source on the forum so anyone here can add in a thing instead of a forum for general discussion just disappearing into the black wall of text.

Idea. That's all.

Also if you could add in on your internet of things on how to make a fridge yell at children like an untamed furby that would make my day.

1 Like

Maybe you could touch on some penetration Testing with WPA2-PSK

I think that once MaidSafe is out the need for own cloud server will virtually disappear.

Please please let this come to fruition- I'm googling and youtubing all over trying to learn the various things you @wendell mention in the first post. Don't toy with me!!! Please let this series happen!!

There needs to be an emphasis on teaching the concept and having the student understand the commands they are running rather than a guide for every hardware config with every distro with Step 1: Open Terminal Step 2: copy pasta.

x2. This is big for my optimized learning style- show me how, I forget quickly-- teach me the theory behind it and it sticks like glue. Lots of linux content out there that flies through the tutorial without much explanation or does a bad job at it, or for very advanced users. Wendell's speed and way of describing things as he goes has been great for me- more tutorials from @wendell would be awesome.

1 Like

Another basics(?) video that I thought of recently is antivirus software on Linux - why it may be recommended, why people go without them, whether servers may or may not need them, etc.

1 Like

Home server with virtualisation?

@Wendell, do you know when you might start creating and posting videos for the channel? If videos are long please put in chapters and links. I don't know if it is possible but set it up so that you can update sections of the video(or topic) without having to redo the whole video (by splicing or chapter editing and insertion??)

I'm so psyched about the 'How to be a Hacker' Series with Eric Raymond <3

@wendell I think most people would find it interesting if you just streamed some everyday usage and commented on it.
The transition to systemd, what's affected and maybe some insight, would also be interesting.
General pathfinding is another valuable skill. What is what, belongs to what; How do you find all relevant actors to a specific use case, like finding and understanding fstab if you don't yet know of it's existence. A survival skillset so to say. Maybe go all the way and shortly introduce what makes up a system that you can call 'operating system', which components are included in more or less all GNU/Linuxes by default, how that collection is growing. Things like discerning the functionality that's actually part of a desktop environment etc.

Looking forward to awesome content in the linux channel on a regular basis!

3 Likes

@wendell The Linux Channel on Vessel is a start, Although I know there hasn't been any content recently so no need for the channel, The Community really wants Linux content. Tons of things to cover, The game and Windows virtualization is cool but I want to see the second part of the ESR video and other documentaries with the early fathers of Linux, Open Source and FOSS. Also, I appreciated the grokking video.

3 Likes

I second this. I've been using Digital Ocean for years, and they're awesome over there. 5 a month is a great deal for a full VPS on any hosting provider, and I personally think Digital Ocean is one of the better ones.

I just want to say @wendell thank you for doing these videos. I do consider myself a computer nerd of various kinds but this is something I have always wanted to do but never really known where to start and that has been the massive stumbling block. Sure there are lots of tutorials and various resources but none really in a easy to get to and follow place like this, they have always assumed a level of knowledge that is beyond me and while i am maybe not a super appropriate level of knowledge for even this it definitely helps a huge amount. This really does feel like something attainable and the homework on what to go find and read about is much appreciated. I do like the person learning and reading portion of these as it helps drill in what is being taught.

So thank you very much for this.

I know there has been a large gap between this originally being posted and the resultant video, I look forward to the continuation of this eagerly. All good things come to those who wait.

5 Likes

I would like for you to start with alot of self hosted stuff to actually understand how the simpler things work. Then when we want to move on to more advanced topics then we can change out the parts we've already learned with stuff like off-site hosting.
This way us viewers could simply swap out diffrent parts (like: from self hosting to off-site hosting etc.) as we please.
In other words, like the OSI-model xD

I've been using Sandstorm for a while on my home server. Would recommend if you don't want to manually install stuff. It's just one-click install / uninstall via the web gui. Also the added security is nice. Their marketplace could use some more apps though. I try to check for new apps every so often but I feel like it has not taken off quite yet.

So far I've mostly been using WeKan, which essentially is a Trello clone. Works great.

YUNoHost is software, they do not provide any sort of hosting platform.

YUNoHost is like a big program that you install on top of a VPS or any Debian server. They even recommend using Digital Ocean as a hosting provider on their install page.

https://yunohost.org/#/install

Its awesome software though.

edit:
thought ≠ though

Kinda like ISPconfig to manage the server through a GUI?

aren't there already noob friendly built oses that do these? if the purpose of making this video is to educate noobs that there are better solutions and easy to manage ones. then i think they should be given a noobs video. show them all the different possibilites. file serving at home, transcoding media, cloud storage, and even vming( so they never have to think about linux) all of this can be achieved using nas4free

sure i mean there isn't docker support yet. but thats on freebsd.

i mean i currently do all of the above using a free ddns. (afriad.org) sure the names are crappy but its free and you can run a script locally for make sure ddns updates the ip at a decent rate.

i currently use ownclowd and syncthing for cloud services, plex for transcodiing. and ftp on android to remotely store and retrieve lectures and notes. and windows vm from my andriod box for word editing. my uni fees include office 365. all of this running natively on a single os. easily managed and also survives updates, because of docker like compartmentalization

i believe you should do an intro to linux servers video. show the easiest option and then do the super amazing build your own linux server so more people are interested. who knows maybe you'll create a crowd commit linux server distro.

You might also look at SeaFile for an ownCloud alternative. I haven't used either of them in quite a while, and I never had any big issues with ownCloud, but it's another option to think about.

One thing I would love to see is integration between ownCloud and Plex. If your Music folder in OwnCloud automagically synced up with your Plex Music, that would be amazing! It seems totally possible, it's just a Linux permissions nightmare, so a guide would be really great.