Upcoming Linux Channel Vids - Want Input

Reverse Proxy might be a good one to add to the list.

3 Likes

Let's start with this: absolutely fantastic. So glad to finally see talk about more linux channel stuff. I think Linux cloud is a great way to start because this is where linux excels by far, and this is probably your logic as well.

Looking at that list has me fairly excited as well. I've heard of OwnCloud but never really had the time to check it out, and the Dokuwiki program sounds damn promising. Would love to know if there is any encryption available for it and how cross platform it is (can I use this on my phone as well)? I use wikidpad personally, but would love to see what other wiki-based notetaking solutions have to offer.

In addition to this you should also add Samba to the list. If not to go into great detail about it, at least mention it. I'm sure plenty of tutorials exist already to get samba servers up and running, but I think that's a great addition to the list for those who want to make a home media server.

Backups are an absolutely a great topic to cover. Excited to see what you have to say about that.

Overall the list looks very promising and I would love to contribute somehow. I can perhaps do a Spanish translation of wiki materials if there's a demand for it. I say perhaps for time and money reasons, not skill.

Honestly I think that's a rock solid list to start with and a great flow. I would just say pedagogically when planning these "lessons" to be focused towards the end goal and meaningful application of what people can do with what they're learning. I think the philosophy is vital for a complete understanding and you should still include it, but having structure that is easy to reference and navigate is going to be key for a tutorial series (compared to the earlier videos which are somewhat more conversational).

First: I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. which means i probably need these videos. <.<
Secondly: anything linux related i gobble up. and i CANNOT wait to see what this opens up for me and some other people who want to be further in the linuxy world. (i probably said that wrong. further proof i need to learn more)

sadly im still having issues with installing and actualling using linux as my main OS, so i have little to say about this at the moment. :P

2 Likes

You are a sir.

@wendell I've used enough stuff for long enough that I think I could help out with a script or two for a video.

I'd like to see more with advanced cron usage as that seems to be a topic that isn't covered many places.

I agree -- there's not much of a bridge from 'and here's an Ethernet port' and complete firewall usage.

As for myself, I've been looking into copying archlinux's setup for wiki, bug reporting, AUR, and package repositories. Anything which can give me another perspective on that would be appreciated.

I've started on mediawiki and there was an installation snafu that I couldn't trace down before I nuked it and tried again. I think other wiki software should at least be touched on.

I still need to learn more about this. +1

@wendell There's a bug in the reply code for this website where if you're writing a reply and try scrolling to the bottom of a conversation past the loaded posts, posts fail to load.

Even though I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to Linux I appreciate any linux content you make and will watch even for the sheer amount of knowledge they always have.

2 Likes

I agree with you totally. I switched to linux and love when I watch a video on something new and I can do it myself on my machine. That and steam games are getting better all the time on linux. Divinity Original Sin just got a liux version before xmas. That was a nice surprise for me. One reason less to boot Windows.

1 Like

I'm a n00b and am constantly seeking linux youtube tutorials (Tuts) and lots of youtubers try to do a "learn linux". They either do a poor job or quit mid project. They do "The basics", which is usually a run down of the latest OS release that they prefer; and maybe an outline of the file system.

A minimum requirement for a viewer should be an installed system with basic user skills. There is sufficient content out there to cover that stuff. Content for people that could move them from beginner or novice to intermediate, ie., troubleshooting skills, fixing bad program installations, careful driver installation methods, backups, a mix of CLI and Gui, kernel patching & grub management.

Right now if I do something that doesn't work out, I just fresh install.

My only other tip would be is to look at other youtube series and see how these people epically failed. And do all the tuts in 4-7min bits, or do 4-7min tuts and compile them in one video with chapter marks. Maybe make each video have noted content for different user levels.

All the stuff listed above is good.

Sorry for the unpolished writing, just typng it out fast.

Amazing thread. More content on the Linux channel is very refreshing to know.

Wiki posts might be one way to go.

Instead, I very much like the documentation approach by php.net, where php.net-authored documentation content is separate from "User Contributed Notes", which are often an additional content of immense value, and sorted by votes (like stack overflow posts). This approach better exposes the actual source / author, and along with a timestamp, makes it easier to determine the age and validity of information on each. I think this may be immensely helpful further down the road, when things change, to add appendices and footnotes and to debate points without cluttering a succinct base content. There may be disadvantages to this approach too, but I haven't spent time thinking on it to find any.

Creating your own personal e-mail server would be cool. I see tons of people with their own custom e-mail address, I want my own too.

Actually most of the points here make sense but id like let's encrypt in particular and maybe some stuff on high availability (hardware failure) although it would probably fall into some virtualization category.

The hacking with ESR sounds like a video I would like to see, Also I would like to know more about setting up open VPN on linux, for my purposes it would be useful to have a VPN and I want to expand my linux skills with the cli, I see myself trying to use the CLI to get stuff done, but I keep on having to go to the GUI, and I really would like a HOW TO CLI esk video for debian, or fedora, I know I can get the linux bible, but It would be nice for you to go, hey try this, albeit this is the purpose of the forum, so I don't know how far you could go, but pointers and things like the for total and utter newbs would be nice, but either way I just watch them because you put up cool stuff and I collect knoladge, and I don't loose it, so if I needed to do some stuff with networking in linux, I will know something.

Make them all. YEAH !

@wendell
another one that may be interesting for some is
- a video of the most common problems when installing/setting up linux on older machines and how to resolve these issues
a lot of people install on older hardware/old servers where it is often harder (at least in my exp) to find sufficient information on and when learning linux for the first time it can be VERY time consuming trouble shooting these issues. so a video addressing this might be helpful

3 Likes

Hey Wendell,

You tutorial on PCIe pass through was a massive eye opener to me. I had even thought about it. So I am happy to get brain-dump for you.

I am excited to see more stuff and keep up the awesome work.

Mac

1 Like

Well since Logan has been mentioning that his workflow is deeply rooted in windows applications, maybe include videos that follow the theme of Windows to Linux transition. So, having to do with Logan's problem atm, showcase a video editing app, maybe even do an entire video capturing from linux (and rendering etc). I guess for Logan's case it would be moreso for music etc, so yea.

Point of what I am trying to say is, find something that many think is difficult to do on linux, since some of us are so used to using Win, and show the effectiveness and ease of the Linux alternative.

3 Likes

I think creating a .bashrc file and creating aliases for tasks would be really beneficial to the new user community.
Bash aliases are really easy to set up and can make doing CLI tasks super easy.

2 Likes

In addition to @mactzu & @James_Gallier, maybe a tut on managing windows in VMs including network settings. because If i have a windows VM in my network i would want to cage it with blinders.

Though, passthrough is only on skylake, so narrow target audience at this point in time. But awesome for the future.

I actually made a post recently about Blender as a video editor, I think, personally, that it's the solution to video editing on Linux!
Here is the original post if your interested: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/my-thoughts-after-using-blender-as-a-video-editor/94693

1 Like