Unstable X11 with kernel 3.17 in Ubuntu

I know this is probably a little overly-technical for here, but it will be interesting to see what you guys know. I installed linux 3.17 in ubuntu since i needed triple monitor support from my intel integrated graphics. After doing so, X sometimes just hangs. I can ssh in and kill and restart it, but since i have and ssd, i ussually just press the reset button.

So anyways, has anyone else been having issues with this? Any suggestions?

Seems to be an intel driver issue that hasn’t been fixed yet.

Still interested in any issues others may have had with X. I havent seen X broken for a long time now.

Just forget about it. Kernel 3.17 is ancient, and no long term support kernel, so nobody is going to fix anything. The currently stable kernel branch is 3.19/3.20, and the development branch is 4.0. If you’re using anything older than that, make sure it’s a long term support kernel, or there will be open issues.

If you desperately need functionality that is not in 3.16, use 3.18, which is the latest that Ubuntu supports, or change to a more modern distro. Otherwise, just stay with the long term support kernel that works for you.