Unreal Tournament (4/2014)

I saw there’s a Quake Champions thread, so I thought there should be an Unreal Tournament (4/2014) thread to match it. Discuss developments with the game, gameplay, game balance, etc of the newest Unreal Tournament game (release date TBD).

I know there are other threads, but they are so old, I wasn’t going to necro any of them.

No mega_thread tag until it’s worthy of the title. How the hell can I create new tags?

I first started playing it years ago, and I really enjoyed it then. I think the hats are stupid though and the XP rewards are still far too low still. I don’t like some of the changes they’ve made since then, such as introducing the grenade launcher and pushing it over the bio rifle, as well as giving the link gun an overheat mechanic, removing the link ability, and removing the pull. I hope they aren’t going to take it more in a CoD direction, cause that’s what these changes seem like the direction’s headed. Maps look great though and the new flag run mode is pretty fun, but I’ll always prefer CTF…until assault is added.

I also think that there isn’t enough support from Epic, and it’s rather disingenuous to expect the community to develop everything but the coding and a few maps. Though they’ve been doing a great job, development has been at a snail’s pace…and with Fortnite the runaway success it is, there will be even less support from Epic for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

Do they still have that soccer/ball mode? That was so much fun. It was in UT2004, dunno about later versions. Always loved UT99 matches with low gravity

All I can say about Epic is my brother and I and probably many others out there keep getting messages from Epic over and over and over about our accounts. It is annoying and thus I will not deal with them at this time.

You mean Bombing Run? No, currently they only have:

• Deathmatch
  • Team Deathmatch
  • Capture the Flag
  • Instagib CTF
  • Duel (winner stays, loser pays)
  • Showdown (basically Last Man Standing with a team)
  • Blitz (kind of a combination of CTF and Assault)

Everyone wants them to add all the popular game modes from previous games (Assault, Bombing Run, Onslaught/Warfare) so patience, Padawan. There’s been more development from the community lately than Epic though, such as game balance mutators, but I did find a prototype Bombing Run map with ball launcher.

It’s interesting you mention low gravity, cause there’s a CTF map right now where the gravity is normal in the interior parts of the base, but as soon as you go outside it’s low gravity. Makes for some interesting gameplay. The music for the map is also brilliant.

Epic is currently making all the money in the fucking world with Fortnite. UT has been in alpha for how many years now? Really a shame because when it was actually new it looked incredible. Today it is pretty standard and a UT without “HOLY SHIT!”-graphics is no good.

Onslaught was great in UT2004. I don’t know how many matches I played on Torlan…

Need to get that running again. :grin:

I fucking hate Fortnite for taking what few people were working on UT off of it.

I miss UT2k4 a lot. When they were finally ready to release UT3 they were one of the first ones to require DX10, and at that time it only worked on Vista which everyone hated and was trying to avoid upgrading to (sound familiar?). They didn’t get nearly the sales they wanted from it because they shot themselves in the foot and got all butthurt that the community ‘let them down’ and won’t do a proper UT release anymore.

Anyone playing this in Linux? I remember there were originally tons of hoops to jump through to get it working a couple years ago and given my garbage hardware it wasn’t worth the effort to try at that time. I’ve had the same issue with my account as mentioned above and really wish I could completely kill the account, but their help section is useless for that. It would be awesome if there was a PPA for an install script or similar that could keep up with the changes to the game and make a Linux install a bit less painful. I have little patience for dependency hell.

to be fair they’re the only game company with any promenance supporting OSS and linux at this point in time, and Sweeney is consistent on that front. They have flaws but I Really think they’re one of the best large game companies in the current market, period.

if toxikk wasn’t a ghost town i’d recommend it to everyone

that said, UT4 is making slow but steady progress towards the original arena shooter formula

As long as Tencent doesn’t buy them out altogether. They already have a stake in them. I’d prefer they don’t gobble up another game studio.

I hate to double post, but if I just edit my last post, no one’s going to notice.

I heard Fortnite is dying, but I did hear this while playing UT. However, if it’s true, it could mean UT will finally get some much deserved love. Can anyone confirm its popularity is declining?

Assertion: I created this thread, so I get to revive it.