Unraid switches to subscription aka. abo prices

Hi all

Appearently unraind is about to switch to a yearly payments.
[Joke] Feels like Broadcom has bought them too :wink: [/Joke]

Sadly proxmox is too heavy for my small NAS.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Napp-IT for windows.

really could not be better timing.

or TrueNAS, obviously.

both are good if you are ok with ZFS.

I wouldn’t call it a direct replacement, as it’s not an integrated appliance system, but any Linux distribution with Cockpit, OpenZFS and cockpit-zfs-manager.

It needs a bit of effort to set up though and you need to be brave enough to deal with problems like updated kernel version not compatible with current zfs-dkms. I recommend giving it a try on a non-production machine.

Actually, I think I’m OK with that business model - they get payed more in the long run and personally I have no problem paying a small fee every year to support the development.

TLDR:

• Paying for a year of updates is optional
  • Current license holders get grandfathered in with free updates forever

These will function similarly to the current Basic, Plus, and Pro licenses, with the main difference being that the Starter and Unleashed licenses will come with one year of software updates. After that, customers will be able to pay an OPTIONAL extension fee, which makes them eligible for another year of updates. If you choose not to renew, no problem.

Again, this change does not apply to any current license holders. You will still be able to access all updates for life, as promised.

I’d say nowhere near what Broadcom did.

3 Likes

A joke!

I was asked in an interview recently what the biggest problem in OSS development was. When I told them it was money to be able to afford rent they did not want to listen so I get that.

I’m fine with the change. I’ve always been worried being an Unraid user that the new user base fueling the development will dry up which would lead the demise of the product.

They are also super clear they are not messing with anyone that has already purchased their license. Also going forward there is a lifetime option, though I’m sure it will be pricey, so at least you have an option if you don’t want another subscription.

For a while there I was looking at https://rockstor.com/ but ended up just sticking with Unraid, which I’m happily running.