Unraid and Plex Issue fixed

Just an FYI for people

I have used plex in an unraid docker for a while now. In the past I had used plex on truenas Core, so being able to actually use a GPU for transcoding was a real shock and huge improvement in performance.

But the other day I was going to work out on the treadmill and was going to fire up plex to watch something, and…nothing.

Went to check unraid, plex docker running, but could not access the web -gui–would not connect.

restarted docker, rebooted server, nothing.
Did a bit more checking. If you experience something like this, there is an error in the Preferences.xml file that usually is in
/user/appdata/Plex-Media-Server/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

I checked and the file was 0 KB–must have been an error, and the file was damaged, but I had to delete the file to get plex to restart and then it was working fine–and I think it restored the library data–it did not take long to get everything back.

I have no clue why plex can’t just restart or tell you to rebuild the preferences file, but…you have to manually fix it.

I had gone and set up jellyfin out of anger also, but…at least plex is working again.

If only I could get my unraid to let me use both intel quick sync AND my nvidia 1650 super card for transcoding!