UnFuck this ... whatever ... I don't know [solved]

If you're going tobuse a back port of 4.2, you might as well use 4.5

Uhm, a lot has changed since that post. ;)

You didn't amend the OP, so new visitors still think your raging at ubuntu. And yes the title worked.

I already put it in the Hardware/GPU category..... I'm not writing everything again. :P

I just had a freeze on an RX 480.
And after that I got a freeze on my old GTX760.
GPU is out the window.

… I’m getting so sick of this shit.

At this point my best bet is on the board or memory. But memory also seems unlikely because it passed memtest86 multiple times and linux didn’t say a word either.

Got it to freeze with handbrake....

@Logan, I think you are using the same board. (ASRock X99 WS) Do you have any issues with it?

I think I'm done with this. This is by far not the first problem I had with this system and I already switched out CPU and the ASRock board, I tried different GPUs (green and red), I tried a different PSU, I ran memtest86 for quite some time... I would probably have to look for a different board now anyway. So I take this as a chance to switch the platform. More 2670s for me please.

I got it.

The ASRock board has a UEFI option to enable max turbo clock on all cores.
This option was OFF but it was still doing it. I reflashed the UEFI and now the setting works correctly.

What a nightmare... after all the hardware is ok so .. that's good.
Despite these good news I am still switching to dual 2670s in my main rig.
I might be showing that in another thread.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. You helped me a lot to get to the core of all this.

This thread can be closed now
........ finally.

2 Likes