UnFuck this ... whatever ... I don't know [solved]

First off: I am not a linux pro. I tried a few things here and there and while that is all fun, when I have a problem I have to spend time googling my way out. I know like five commands or so... but I'm getting where I wanna go. I tried LMDE, Ubuntu and debian mainly. While LMDE is not bad I always come back to debian with XFCE. It just seems to be the only system I would approve as stable.

For some reason Xubuntu 16.04 keeps being a dick to me. I wanted to use it because of the new AMDGPU-PRO driver because... I like games. I tried installing kernel 4.6, I reinstalled the AMDGPU-PRO drivers but sooner or later the system just stops. Freeze, no glitching on screen or so. It just stops and nothing works besides holding power down. I googled a lot and no one seems to have a real answer to that.

It is not the hardware, windows works just fine. And Xubuntu freezes even when basically nothing is connected anymore.

So fuck ubuntu! I want my debian back.

Here is the question: Can I get the AMDGPU-PRO driver for debian? I need that driver if I want to play games. And I WANT to play games.
I read somewhere that a new version of the driver is part of the latest steamOS release. That is basically debian, right? Can I use that?

Try arch or manjaro man.

4 Likes

AMD should give binaries for general linux soon enough.

AMDGPU-PRO are considered still in beta and have issues. It is not really the OS but the actual drivers that are not ready. In that respect using them on debian might not fix much...

1 Like

Nope. I want debian.

1 Like

Wow hello mr fuck ubuntu how are you today... Gonna blame issues of another company (AMD) on an operating system. By all means continue. I would love to see more justification

6 Likes

On my clock that would be precisely .... right now!

Yeah, the driver is still beta but I didn't find any reports about freezing systems in regards to the driver. What I did find is reports about freezing ubuntu systems even back with 15.10. So I don't think it is the driver.

Thats because people fuck with something. When its out of the box its fine.. until someone tries to do something that is sometimes "unsupported"

Also UBUNTU has specifically stated the drivers are "Beta and should not be used for stability" did you ignore this statement and decide to complain when something bad happens? LMAO

3 Likes

I'm impressed. Are you always this helpful?

2 Likes

Always to people who complain about beta drivers. You are literally complaining because of something that is beta is messing up your system and blaming it on Ubuntu? LOL Think about that one for a moment.

For the record to answer your question AMDGPU drivers will be released as binaries from AMD shortly. That being said all opensource OSes are designed and intended to be used with FOSS. Anything they cannot modify they specifically state "This is proprietary software. This means the community is not able to edit the source or provide bug fixes. It is not recommended to use if you want a stable system".

So forgive me when I see these kinds of thread and wonder? Why are you complaining about beta software? If you need a stable AMD gaming environment on linux go to openSUSE or Fedora or any of the other distributions that do not use the new driver and are still on earlier kernels or LOL better yet.. stick to windows 10 for your gaming needs LMAO

6 Likes

I think you're missing the point. The driver is bleeding edge, your operating system is very much not bleeding edge. Ubuntu don't support AMDGPU on their OS because it causes problems.

Use Arch or some other rolling release Linux distribution, or alternatively keep smashing your head against your desk trying to make AMDGPU work on Ubuntu

This what I want to know. Nothing else.

Isn't Debian supposed to only have FOS software in its repositories?

You can add stuff in the repositories. Spotify, Chrome, VirtualBox... had no problems. But that stuff is not a driver, that should be different. Or not?

I might be wrong here, so take this with a grain of salt. But I think AMDGPU PRO requires quite a recent kernel version, and from the very brief time I used Debian I think it tends to lag behind on kernel version quite significantly.

Yes this is true.. only its daily rolling release has a 4.x kernel

OK, I found a tutorial on installing kernel 4.2 from backports. I have a spare ssd so I could just try that.

Even if that is true if you want to used this on a desktop SteamOS will be cumbersome. It is designed for smart devices, steamlink, steamachiens etc. Although there is Debian with gnome underneath I have heard that the whole experience is really unintuitive on a desktop. I mean it does not hurt to try but expect issues. I would wait for the AMD generic drivers. AMD is really taking its time on this but they should come very soon.

What graphics card are you trying to get this to work on?

RX 480 i think.

What AMDGPU version is ubuntu shipping?

Worth noting as well. Xubuntu isnt Ubuntu, they may have made changes thats screwing with something.

Another one, why are you installing kernels?

You should just be installing the driver.

And how are you installing the driver. There so little information here no ones asked.