UnFuck this ... whatever ... I don't know [solved]

Sorry, I never ever experienced that with anything in IT that was new; new softwar = buggy, new hardware = buggy driver or total crap itself, v2 will fix... I think there was never anything delivered finished, except my very first TV (CRT) which was sold for 15 years in the same revision ;-)

And btt: it was stable, the core/kernel never ever crashed on me; I had trouble with graphics (intel/nvidia/optimus) and once on a bleeding new TP even with a change in the PCIe command spec that caused the nvida driver to send shit on the SMB and kill the kernel.

YaST is a the graphical management system of the entire operating system of SUSE... Similar to the control panel on windows except so much more powerful. There are some good videos of it online and it has a one click install system for your software. Its rivals a lot of enterprise grade management software. If you are up for it power up a VM... Or install it on your system. It will take some gettinfs used and a little research on how to setup delegated partitioning but they make that easy. You'll find a lot of people that profess a bit of fondness of YaST that previously criticised it before.. Lol so the opinions are well justified

Lol YaST is amazing, Zypper is just the worst package manager on the planet to work with in cli.

No yast is the magic baby of a diety, who has birthday on x-mas(it was moved 6 months so it fitted the pagean religions), and resourected itself on easter, this event possible spawning the easter bunny(this is not scietifically proved). Still i prefer ubuntu though ;) ubuntu is like the trinity of linux! anyone who says otherwise, has no insigt into version control, and how apt works!(Apt being an actual magic baby for linux!, and the easter bunny would use ubuntu if possible). You get tested software, and can setup your own repos, and version control like a mother Fu...., Thats about as magic baby as it gets.

Nah its not.. Do you have the cheat shear its actually quite intuitive if you think in abbreviations like me

You dont even have to use abbreviations. Full words work just the same.

1 Like

thats true

Let me go beat my skull in with a brick first. /s

As I said, YaST is amazing, Zypper is diarrhea seppuku.

Do you even CLI /s

LOL if you know the command line super well IDK why you would be complaining its not that bad

Debian is great for stability, but the stability means waiting on new software until it has been thoroughly tested.

Arch is cutting edge rolling distro with the latest software, but the user may have to get under the hood and fix things

For me - Manjaro has all the benefits of Arch but with a small delay whilst core software is double-checked to trap major problems.

For anyone wanting to tweak GPU drivers and kernel - Manjaro Settings Manager is simplest method I have seen to change GPU drivers and kernel - no terminal required. I Don't see AMDGPU-PRO in the AUR yet, but anyone on an Arch based distro will likely be first to have access to it

For OP - best i can suggest in a Debian would be try MX15, but might still be a long wait for AMD to catch up to your needs. I don't see the logic of using a conservative and stable distro base to add beta software, but admire your intention to try.

Maybe one day soon a hardware manufacturer will realise that, if they are more open, there are many who will welcome the chance to make their products work well on Linux.

1 Like

I don't like their config options on autosuspend, the fact they compile usb.core with kernel instead of loading on boot, there are others. Some of it is personal preference. Depending on the hardware i have seen stability issues with the way they have autosuspend set. There are other modules as well. Overall I feel like I have to change to much to get the kernel to run the way i want.

1 Like

I'm certainly not a regular Linux user and so trying Ubuntu 16.04 LTS today was disappointing with multi RX 480 GPUs in a system. Dual boot install with Win7 was very straight forward but after the intial boot it was like trying to stir molasses with screens taking several seconds to draw on the monitor. So that made downloading and installing the script based AMDGPU Pro drivers very difficult and then to rub it in they failed with very little feedback and pretty much trashed the install so I gave up.

Not very encouraging to learn a new OS with minimal experience. Don't think I'm bashing Linux specifically though as currently the Win 7 AMD drivers won't install either :) only the HDMI audio driver installs and I've tried manually installing too but no go on the Crimson apps. I'm not alone in that respect so after a hiatus from AMD this isn't a great re-introduction!

Win 10 is perfectly fine though with 4 x GPU. The only thing I had to do was move the monitor connector from the top DP output to the bottom DP output as otherwise the 3 other cards wouldn't initialize at first.

I may try SUSE or something else but I was specifically wanting to try the AMDGPU PRO + Open CL SDK just don't want to waste another couple of hours.

So here is something interesting, AMD discretely supports on some corporate level SuSe Linux I am assuming this is mainly for their opteron or server stuff, but SuSe and even OpenSuSe seem to claim better driver support with native AMD hardware:

see links for drivers: https://en.opensuse.org/AMD

Also see this for rpm installers for AMD and Linux Drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst131ProprietaryLinuxGraphicsDriverReleaseNotes.aspx

One thing i remind people is not every company is the best at supporting drivers for the linux kernel. The AMD driver BETA was only released a few days ago. While AMD says it is stable does not mean without issue. It also does not mean that it will work without configuration. Window managers many times need to configured a certain way. I can ensure you AMD drivers work fine for HPC systems. Most GPUs in the linux space are not being used for rendering graphics; it is being used for using computation. So you are working with an area that is still developing.

SUSE and AMD have been working in the area of HPC together for years. So when larger company is 200 AMD AMD FirePro S9300 X2 at $5999 each I would hope they would be supporting the drivers. Also it not so discretely it states that the bottom of AMD's HPC page that they give you enterprise level support including a phone number and tech support email address.

So, I tried going with standard (Amazon edition) Ubuntu 16.04. Didn't even install the PRO-part of AMDGPU. Still freezing up.

Any ideas to unfuck Ubuntu?

I'm running a 3570k with an R9 280x and I was having some freezing issues in 16.04 as well so I reverted back to 15.10 for now.

As for drivers I'm using this one http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86_64 and I'm not having any issues in 15.10 right now.

I'm able to run Ark on high settings with no issues along with a few less demanding games so the drivers I'm using seem to work well.

Not sure if the AMDGPU-PRO drivers are the better option though.

Good luck getting it going!

I still don't think it is the driver. I have seen reports on freezing 16.04 with nvidia and intel GPUs, too.

I just think that the best way is just to wait for AMD to release a better driver.
I dont think that it will matter realy that much which particular distro you use.
This is obviously a problem from AMD not having a proper driver ready.
With the new LTS kernel and the drop for support on fglrx its pretty much, time for amd to get on their game.
If they truly want to support the open source community as much as they claimed.

Well, I can do that while trying something else, right?

And by the way, I just wrote that it is happening without the PRO component. That means if it really is a driver issue, it is in the open source part of the driver. And I guess then it would be more helpful for everyone to pinpoint this problem and try to fix it instead of just waiting.

So far @Tjj226_Angel and @Eden are the only ones that really try to help.
(Thanks for that, I really appreciate it.)

@all

I don't need more AMD blaming just based on opinion. That is already been covered in this thread. And it is not helpful.
It absolutely doesn't have to be a driver issue. And if you are so sure about it being a driver issue then how can I prove it or rule it out?

I have seen reports about this freezing problem that were solved by kernel updates. (Did that, problem still there.)
I have seen reports about this freezing problem that were solved by changing swap settings. (Checked that, problem still there)

So guys and girls, what can I do next?