Undervolting the Threadripper Pro 5975X

I am a digital forensics examiner and work in a lab. We have six machines running Threadripper Pro 5975X , 128GB of 3200mhz ram, 30TB of NVME U.2 drives (8 X 3.84TB), on a Asus WRX80 Sage Wi-Fi and an RTX A4000. Four machines are running air coolers and two are running AIO’s with 240 radiators. I am having trouble cooling these monsters even in a lab with 24 hour AC at 68F. IS there a way to reliably undervolt the 5975X?

Short answer: right now, no

Long answer:
So far only two motherboards support undervolting: the Asrock WRX80 Creator and the new second version from Asus, the Asus WS Pro WRX80E-Sage Wifi II.

What you are looking for is the “curve optimiser” and maybe it comes in a bios update, but so far that’s not available yet as far as I know. Maybe the bios from V2 works, but as far as I know no one tried that yet.

1 Like

Cannot you make a watercooling that has the radiators outside the building or something? Like AC would.

It seems kind of a waste to spend even more money/resources on AC after having all that heat build up in your office. If you can make the heat dissipate in the outside air you save yourself a lot of money on AC and it would be easier to achieve desired temperature that is comfortable as well.

I have a very similar setup (see Build log: Threadripper Pro 5975WX Linux workstation on the Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI – Interesting things) and I have had 0 luck undervolting, overvolting, overclocking, anything. The CPU at stock is 100% solid (and it doesn’t get that hot for me with my exact setup).

I think either wait for a bios update, or indeed a different board.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.