Unable to activate my Yubikey in google account

Hello! I’m Yubikey owner for about an week now.
I’m trying to get my internet security on next level, but i cant activate 2FA in my google account.
When I try to add my yubikey, it says “Something went wrong, please try again”
I tried different browsers, I tried from my phone as well, from 2 different browsers as well, no luck.
Ill use the key with NFC from my phone, but I tried with USB. Still nothing.
Is it possible that I have problems with my Yubikey itself ? Pretty much every time when I open Yubi Auth. It says “Error in Yubikey communication”. And because I have PIN set up on the key, I have to use the key 3 times in order to show me the codes, and 1 more to reveal the code I want to have. Not sure if thats normal.
I also installed LastPass, but I think that after the 1month free trail, I wont be able to use the Yubikey with it, so Ill have to buy premium.
Most websites use OTP, so, ill use Yubi Auth for them. But pretty “important” sites like PayPal, eBay and Amazon, dont use the more secure method.

PC is Windows 10, browsers tested Vivaldi and Edge
Phone is One Plus 5 Android 10. Tried NFC and USB. Browsers: Vivaldi, Chrome.

Any ideas and recommendations are welcome

Might the issues be compunded by Google’s outages today?

I’d say try again tomorrow, or when the systems are all confirmed as back up perhaps?

I’m trying for few days now.

1 Like

Dang, sorry dude. Perhaps bump the thread every day or two in case someone with experience with a yubikey hasn’t seen it.
And I guess keep experimenting, and let us know if you find a solution.
Which I understand does not help, but may help others?

return it & get an OnlyKey - it has much better physical security & it implements the yubikey API.

If yubi doesn’t work, it probably won’t either.

I’d check with Chromium or Firefox.

Also check with another computer if possible.

On Linux (you could also try dual booting), The auth app didn’t find any key unless pcscd was running.
For more troubleshooting, you could try the CLI utility ykman.

Don’t be afraid to mail yubi support. It’s a high profit margin device, and they do have compitent support.

How to U2F with google

OnlyKey docs are also good

Just tried Firefox, same shi… I tried 2 devices and 5 browsers in total. (If you count Vivaldi and Chrome for Android for separate ones :smiley: ) Wired and Wireless connection.
I just messaged Yubi if they can help, but i doubt.
Is there someway to contact “Google support” They have shitton of FAQ-s, and guides and stuff, but they are only for stuff that work. I mean… You cant make manual for every single problem, for any configuration.
Might be account issue.
Also @itoffshore you can set-up “Advanced Protection Program” only with 2 U2F keys.If you have only one, you cant.
I Bought Yubi, because I wanted to get one for years, and I finally did.
I saw that OneKey has like 6 slots, but I didnt saw NFC. Didnt checked the spec sheet, but kinda want NFC.

don’t know if it helps, but I had to choose some account option to allow “less secure” logins, so my thunderbird client could connect to gmail. maybe there is some thing listed under a heading like that?

1 Like

Is there a way to contact Google support via mail or something ? When I try to register security key from my phone, when it goes to Step 2, immediately it says “something went wrong”, before you even think about the security key.
That makes me think its account issue

EDIT. Yes, its F-ING account issue. Just made another account, everything went flawlessly. God damn it…

UPDATE!
I was just able to activate my Yubikey…
I changed my language to english last time i tried. While I was in YouTube Studio, there was tab where it said that I have to protect my account with 2 step verification. Clicked on it, confirmed my password, clicked on Security key, clicked twice OK, next or whatever it is the popup for the key, inserted the key, touched it and VOILA, its now activated. My reaction was “Motherf…” I Totally did not expected to work. But it did.

1 Like

I found a solution.
When I tried registering it from a browser, I failed every time.
But when I went to “settings”, clicked on Security, then 2-step verification and did the same steps - it worked!
So, just do it from “settings”

2 Likes

what “settings” are you referring to, if not in browser??

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please Private message a moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error.

See the FAQ for more information. Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.

Link to forum rules.