Ultrawide 32" 3440x1440p recomendation (can't decide yet, IPS pref.)

Greetings. I have read so much because I am close to the final decition for my next gaming monitor. So I want to come back to ultrawide, used to have a 2560x1080 "29 LG like a decade ago, right now using a A27QD Aorus QHD 144hz.

That being said, I had always used IPS panels, so I have 3 contestants to chose from, and a VA panel that according to reviews is great.

IPS:

[BenQ MOBIUZ EX3415R] $700’ish , great features, needs calibration, not intended for video/photo edition. Good colors . Good USB hub (no usb C)

[GIGABYTE M34WQ 34" 144Hz Ultrawide KVM]

Having KVM is nice, $500’ish (price is great for IPS), the only NON curved on this list (never used a curved before, but due to the extense size, makes a lot of sense to have it), USB hub is awesome and have USB C. Terrible Black Equalizer (brand problems) and mediocre HDR, no speakers.
This one was my choice 2 weeks ago before reading so much

[LG 34GN850-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (344…] 650$
or [LG 34GP83A-B] 750$

$650-750ish, Needs little calibration outside the box, the best IPS quality since is NANO IPS, good input lag (not as good as Mobiuz), 2 usb’s A hub, good software and pretty much a good overall monitor, the expensive version has a bit more nits for HDR (is still bad for HDR400) and has 165hz when OC’d (you will lose 10bits colors)

• [BenQ MOBIUZ EX3410R 34” WQHD (3440 x 1440) 21:9 U…]

$549.99

Now the final contender is the VA Mobiuz with 1000R curve, has great colors, needs more calibration than the IPS version, but has all the same features than the IPS counterpart. Great HDR and good HDRi function. Has 0 USB’s as hub. Never used a VA panel before, I am a bit skeptical about the black smearing or reverse ghosting problems from VA panels.

All this monitors have in common one thing, bellow 5ms input lag, the mobiuz being the lowest ones since they are ‘step brothers’ from Zowie monitors, hence the technology. I know for a fact that ultrawide’s are no meant for competitive, just for casual gaming, but having low input lag is always great to avoid ‘emotional damage’ when getting killed on soulslike games.

So after 2 weeks of reading and investigation, I don’t really know where to put my money. My heart is on the LG 34GP83A-B, my wallet is on the Gigabyte G34WQ and my brain wants the Mobiuz ultrawide IPS version.

Any advise from owners ?

Thanks in advance, this is my first post on this forum. Came here from the youtube review of the Mobiuz IPS ultrawide monitor.

PS: Alienware’s Ultrawide is out of my budget, also the 38"LG ultrawide with 3440x1600 resolution. If you have another recomendation from your own experience, I am all ears.

EDIT: Mobiouz VA weight is 22 pounds, IPS is 28 pounds
LG is 17 pounds
Gigabyte IPS is 29 pounds. So this is clearly a problem for the final decision because I don’t live in the US, I import the product from USA and the heavier the monitor, the bigger the price.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! You should get some good feed back, but might take a while not instant. :slight_smile:

Ive been very happy with my Agon AOC 35" Ultrawide 3440x1440.

They dont make it anymore but have similar items. They might be easier on the wallet. I know mine with gsync was a great deal at the time.

Not sure what their specs are now adays, but might be worth a look if they are still using good tech and they fit your needs. Im thinking ill need a free sync as I dunno if ill buy another NVidia card again after their whole fiasco they are having/had.

Monitor I have has worked flawlessly for 3-4 years right now. And survived 4 moves so that says something. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the input. Will check the specs and the monitor reviews.

1 Like

I had the LG34GN850 for three days before some pixels decided to give up. For the three days I had it I think it is a great display. The curve is not extreme and I was afraid of it too. It’s comfortable and you forget is there after a bit. The colours are really really good out of the box in sRGB mode. The contrast is lower compared to VA panels but that’s about it regarding the negatives.
Is has NO additional features, it works and that’s it. With the Gigabyte M32U had to fiddle with software that almost corrupted my Windows installation, a total mess! LG only has the control app and it doesn’t require an USB cable to change monitor settings from there.
Now I’m using the LG 38GN950 (that you can’t import due to high shipping costs) and it’s just as good and functional. LG has my vote!

1 Like

If you work in a dark room with the possibility to block out any sunlight, a VA panel (for its better blacks) is the way.

I did test the LG 38 inch ultrawide ones.
The busines versions colors drain any happiness out of you.
The G-Sync Ultra one was nothing special. I hated having no remote and the friggin fan (NEVER AGAIN).
Both represent yellow very badly.

In the end HDR was a complete joke and gaming, well playing destiny 2 with a 1060 3gb was nice since all the Gsync hype in the end simply helps low end cards deliver a smooth experience at low fps. That’s it, if you ask me.

Why not a 4.4.4 chroma, HDR1000, pc (TV) montitor at 42 (LG) or 50 (QN90b) inch? Some are under 1000 bucks if you get them on sale. At least they have worthy quirks.

2 Likes

I just watched a Ben Q review its around $550- $600. Its great for gaming but awful for content creation

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.